Frame and suspension rework

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jeff, that may be a nice project when I switch to a 5.0.

I did a little more work on the SFCs this week I'll get some photos when I get one tacked together... hopefully this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back out to the garage today and tacked together the RH subframe connector. I also installed the rear sway bar and started swapping the rear shocks.

The weather is getting warmer I need to get the car ready!

I mounted the front sway bar today and it rubs the strut rods slightly :-( I'll need to do some modification. All 4 shocks are installed and I got it down off the blocks and actually drove it around the block. MAN did that feel good! I'm really looking forward to warm weather!

I really do not want to heat the bar and bend it, I'm thinking about grinding a little off the sway bar where it interferes. I need maybe 1/8" for clearance. what do you all think? I'll post a photo of the interference soon.

Ewwww... either way, heating or grinding... a no-go for that part in my book. No way.

I'd source another bar.

Is it aftermarket?

Can't wait for you to put some miles on with your upgrades. I think you'll be shocked at the improvement.

I have recently been running my 5.0 (in between road saltings...) and am still amazed at:

1) how much ride, handling and brake feel has improved with the strut tower brace/SFC install.

2) how crappy it rides with the recently installed staggered 17" wheels.

It has Michelins F/R and hunts all over the place, very darty steering. Hooks the plentiful PA road ruts. Can't imagine it without the braces in place.

Hope my '71 doesn't respond that way if I ever change from 15's.

I plan on mimicking your SFC's for my Sportsroof. Triangulation is the key I believe...

I really do not like any of the options. Where the bar hits is on the "lever" parts of the bar. My options are raising the front end (NOT gonna happen), heating and bending the bar (least favorible), grinding the side of the "lever" for clearance, or taking a photo and contacting the seller to see what they recommend. Buying another bar is not in the budget right now so I'll need to work with what I have.

Swaybar bottom.JPG

Swaybar side.JPG

Either mod option can weaken the bar.

I'd definitely contact the supplier.

Do you have an original bar to compare the bends to?

Grinding the sway bar will certainly weaken it. To keep from making a stress point I would taper it out 2 or 3 inches in each direction.

Heating it to bend it would require heating the entire bar and then properly quenching it, after you get it bent to the shape you want. The transition from heated steel to unheated steel is where the stresses will be different, potentially causing a stress fracture. The further you pre-heat the bar before bending it will lengthen the transition. I knew a lot of guys that would put wooden blocks under the front of their cars and then heat the coil springs until both sides rested on the blocks, to lower the front end. It worked out for some of them, but others had the coils break. So, what I'm saying is that it's a crap shoot if the entire bar isn't heat treated.

I had a chance to take it for a short drive today WOW what a difference. Everyone told me it would make a big difference... I guess so! The car feels much more solid with less squeaks and rattles. The first autocrosses of the season were this weekend, it's a bummer to have missed it.

Back