Frame and suspension rework

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished up a set of roller spring perches today. I bought a set of Dazecars perch kits and a pair of replacement perches from CJ"s. It's really a pretty simple project. All they need is a little paint anf install. When I put them in I'll likely move the attachment points out an inch for a little more spring rate at the wheel. Here's a couple of pics.

Please ignore the CS welds... there was real good penetration.

perches1 .jpg

perches .jpg

perches3 .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the roller spring perches installed over the last couple of days and did a "garage tech" alignment. I took the car out for a test drive and it seemed to ride a little better and drove a TON better. I dialed in as much caster as possible, set -1* camber and 1/8" of toe in. It has a much firmer steering feel.

I forgot the old perches had polyurethane bushings. If anyone is interested send me a PM ant theyre yours. They do need some clean-up and the bushings stuffed back in.

I finished up a set of roller spring perches today. I bought a set of Dazecars perch kits and a pair of replacement perches from CJ"s. It's really a pretty simple project. All they need is a little paint anf install. When I put them in I'll likely move the attachment points out an inch for a little more spring rate at the wheel. Here's a couple of pics.

Please ignore the CS welds... there was real good penetration.
[Constructive criticism]

Those welds look cold, and it doesn't look like there's much penetration to the base metal. Food for thought, since you are driving on these, and plan on selling sets.

I agree they do look cold. There was ample penetration, I think the wire speed was a little too fast. The second photo was after cleaning up the inside with a flap wheel to fit the bearings. My mig has limited settings. I'll need to try adjusting some more. IF I sell these I do need to produce MUCH prettier welds. I dislike buying parts and thinking the manufacturer has no pride in their work. Actually I am thinking about back burnering building these. IMO the kit I bought needs a redesign to make them more user friendly to install. Mounting the lower end of the shock was a butt pain, there was not enough clearance for the washers and nuts to go in easily.

Thanks for checking, you won't hurt my feeling. I'm ususally not touchy about criticism. I don't have a death wish. :D

I followed this thread from the beginning and I am impressed with the result.

Here's the best part though. When I took my car in for inspection for the renewal of the registration, I asked the guys about subframe connectors because I know that there are very restrictive rules as to what you may or may not do to your car.

And guess what? Yes, welding on subframe connectors will get your registration revoked because it is considered an alteration of a structural part of the car.

That is why no one offs like Custom builds or rods made from aftermarket chassis or kit cars can get a registration here.

Oh, the rules....!

I was wondering if I should bolt some on and remove them every two years for inspection like I do with the big rims.......

droptop73

Can you tell the difference in the way the rollerized springs perches perform verses the old style? I have them installed, but have not driven the mustang yet.

mustang7173

I think it has made the front suspension more compliant. The ride is somewhat better. I have not noticed any increase in noise, vibration or harshness. When I did the install I also added new spring isolators. I would recommend them.

Hello Jeff,

Nice! I often wonder about rollerizing the lower control arm also. Research demonstrates that the rubber bushings created bind in the up and down function of the suspension, thus, not allowing it to move freely.

Thank You for the update! I am going to start a thread on the rollerizing of the control arms to see what is out there.

Thank You!

mustang7173

I think it has made the front suspension more compliant. The ride is somewhat better. I have not noticed any increase in noise, vibration or harshness. When I did the install I also added new spring isolators. I would recommend them.

Back