Frame and suspension rework

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I bent and cut some pipe and cut and drilled some plate today. The subframe connectors will go from the rear frame rail kick-up to the front torque box. The plates will sandwich between the floor and the convertible reinforcement plate with the "U" braces tying the connectors to the plates. This should add some torsional stiffness.

This is my first step in suspension modifications.

bender.jpg

connectors.jpg

reinforcement.jpg

connector & brace.jpg

Looks great to me. The car will handle better and ride better. Always the best first mod for any unibody car. That pipe bender looks VERY handy. Chuck

I am not sure I could drive my Mustang with torsional stiffness.

I wonder if the Global West subframe connectors like the ones I put on mine would tighten things up enough. Can't wait to see your set-up installed though!

Looks good.What size tubing did you use.
1-1/2" .093 wall mild steel.

I wonder if the Global West subframe connectors like the ones I put on mine would tighten things up enough. Can't wait to see your set-up installed though!
I'm using some elements of the Global West and Maier connectors. The GW connectors are nice but I wanted mine to go all the way to the front torque box.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are going to attach them to the plate too? That's a good idea. I can't see where it would hurt at all to do that.
Yeah, the connectors will attach to a pair of plates that will sandwich between the convertible plate and the reinforcement. I figured that would add torsional strength. I also figured it cant hurt.

Well connector progress has slowed... I had a minor fender (actually bumper) bender with the DD this week which pressed the Mustang back into service for a few days. I had to put the DD back into (daily) drivable condition today.

I need to run to the steel yard and grab a few sections of rectangular tubing for the peices that fit over the frame, hopefully this week.

I did order a set of KYB Gas Adjust shocks and new 1-1/8" front and 3/4" rear sway bars today. I would have ordered a 7/8" rear bar per Chuck's (c9zx) advice but could not find one that was not an OEM replacement requiring use of some OEM parts. It has to be an improvement over what I have.

Bit ignorant here. Was wondering exacctly where these will go and what will be accomplished.by putting them in?

looks good, putting on a set of connectors is a very good idea , to my opinion it helps big time on adding stiffnes to the body and upgrading the handling.

it made mine handle much better

On the convertibles, now all 40+ years old, subframe connectors are, in my humble opinion, a must. This is especially true if you are going for other performace mods and plan on driving it a little 'hard'.

Those are very nice, unfortunately the convertible brace on my car prevents that style on my car.

I visited a friend Saturday and helped a little with his Dart project. It makes me want to get into the garage despite the Michigan (used as an expletive) cold.

Back