frame strengtheners

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible.351c 4v bored and stroked,roller cam and lifters,still in process of restoration
[url=https://ibb.co/JkTyQV2][img]https://i.ibb.co/0JLFtTZ/MUSTANG25.jpg[/img][/url]
Need some advice, I have a 72 convertible with 351c that is being bored and stroked to 393, This has not ran yet, still in restoration phase.do you think I need to strengthen the frame up and if so do they sell a kit?

Yes, on a covertible, even if you don't kick up the horse power I always recommend subframe connctors. If you click on 'my garage' in my sig you can see a photo of some on my mustang.

If you really want to beef it up put in a 6 point roll cage. Will add many times more than the sub frame can. Frame connector are more or less a straight line no triangulation to strengthen. Yes there is some but not much. You will need to weld in some thicker sections to the rocker boxes and also the rear floor but you will reduce the twist substantially and not too expensive. Probably someone makes a kit for it. Single cross over loop bar, bar to front of rocker box, bar to rear and a cross bar for attaching shoulder harness also.

If you ever roll in a vert there is noting but cloth between your head and the road. That windshield will fold like a piece of paper.

I know there are subframe connectors available for 71-73 fastbacks. But can anyone recommend what manufacturers are better than others?

I have the Global West subframe connectors for fastbacks but cannot say how good they are because I haven't had the chance to install them yet. I will say that they look very well made and the weld on them are good and look to be strong. I did mock them up into place and they lined up and fit very well also. If needed, I would buy them again. Good luck in your search and with your project.

Tom

I have the Global West subframe connectors for fastbacks but cannot say how good they are because I haven't had the chance to install them yet. I will say that they look very well made and the weld on them are good and look to be strong. I did mock them up into place and they lined up and fit very well also. If needed, I would buy them again. Good luck in your search and with your project.

Tom
Thanks. I am torn between the Global West unit and the standard box frame pieces.

I went with tinman fabrication. They hug the floorboards nicely and are rectangular, so they don't look out of place under the car. More importantly, they stiffened the main part of the chassis significantly.

Back