Free Title History Search?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonEvenson

Reaction score
My Car
This is a 1 of 51, on the Marti Report 71 Sportsroof (Fastback) Mustang show car Grabber Green Mettallic Z code paint, 3W deluxe white interior, Matching #s 351 Cleveland and FMX auto transmission. This is a show quality car, that needs very little to be perfect. Updates are as follows: Edelebrock intake & Carb. Flowmaster Exhaust, Petronix electronic ignition, white face gauges with green LED'S, pioneer MP3/USB and much more.
Been watching a new show on velocity channel called GraveYard Carz, where they restore 70's mopars. Each vehicle they "bring back from the dead" they find out the owner history from the date sold till they day it died, or they acquire it. Now i want to do this with my car, but can't find any free sites for title searches. Does anybody know the best and cheapest way to do this?

I dont think there is a free one...Only way i heard to do it free is to do the leg work your self...ask the guy you got it from..and who he got it from and so on...And hope the original owner is stil alive down the line....I asked my local ford mustang restore guy about the same kinda deal...And he said they have tracked down a few original owners..But it is tuff and a shot in the dark.

I doubt most of these paid title search companies have any records on older cars. The only way to get info on previous owners of a car is if you actually own the car and know where it was titled before. If you show the Motor Vehicle Dept your tittle and fill out some paperwork and pay a fee then and only then will they do a title search.

Ohio is the only state I know that has a database you can search on-line that you can actually check VIN's for free to confirm if a car is registered in that state.

"To search NMVTIS to find important vehicle condition and history information, please select an approved provider listed below."

I'll bet not a single one takes pre-1981 VINs.

-Kurt

"To search NMVTIS to find important vehicle condition and history information, please select an approved provider listed below."

I'll bet not a single one takes pre-1981 VINs.

-Kurt
Yeah I got the same thing off all the websites I looked up too:( I even tried too get some info or maybe even a pic of the dealership that originally sold my car (Stoddard-Mead Ford Idaho Falls ID) and all I get is some website trying to charge me for of newspaper articles. Now I see why they just hired a mew gal on the show to do all that for them:)

Virginia will allow you to for $12 fee Prospective Purchaser Inquiry

At least one of them does pre-1981 cars, but they say the results will vary by state, due to the records (or lack of) kept by each state:

https://www.instavin.com/index.php
Just tried them with my VIN... No Go because it's only 11 characters.

Fortunately, they also tell you "Sorry - no records exist for that VIN" before you click the 'purchase' button.

On the other hand: Don't forget it's just TV. They will make it up to make the story more interesting. If you only believe half of what you hear and see, it will still be too much.

Back