Freeze Plug install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I have never installed freeze plugs. I have the 302 out and just about finished rebuilding. No evidence that plugs were leaking, look good, but most people say to replace with brass just in case. Motorhead Father says leave the old ones in. Should they stay or should they go?? (1980's reference!!)

Also, if I replace, do you recommend permatex sealer or install without sealer???

I have never installed freeze plugs. I have the 302 out and just about finished rebuilding. No evidence that plugs were leaking, look good, but most people say to replace with brass just in case. Motorhead Father says leave the old ones in. Should they stay or should they go?? (1980's reference!!)

Also, if I replace, do you recommend permatex sealer or install without sealer???
IMHO - If it aint broke don't fix it.

No corrosion, staining, leaks? If they are not painted Ford blue then they have already been replaced at some point.

Paul of Mo

If they ain't leakin don't bother. If u need to get machine work done they usually remove them before the hot tanking process. If you have to install them use retaining compound and lightly tap them into place with a 1 diameter socket and hammer.

You can buy the freeze plug kit for less than $10. They are easy to change... especially when the engine is out now. Not so much when its in. Problem with them is they rust from the inside out. They may look good from the outside now but could be paper thin. When you start running the car you don't want one to blow out, because it will happen at the worst time. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Replace them with brass ones, permatex or trim adhesive on the edges. Cheap to do now vs later. Don't forget the ones on the heads.

Change them now. With engine out cheap and easy. Engine in can be very laborious not to mention back of block not accessible once trans in place. Take a straight blade screw driver at an angle (so corner will first pierce plug) pound thru plug and use to wrench out plug. I've had to sometimes use vise grips to pull them out. As previously mentioned use a large socket to knock plugs in. Never be sorry.

Back