Fresh paint done at last

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the way my body guy installed the seals, I can’t seem to find any info on the correct way they go on.

This is the way my body guy installed the seals, I can’t seem to find any info on the correct way they go on.
Pull them off and you'll see a second ridge just inside the outer where they sit. Seriously, I really wonder about body guys....

Thanks for the image, they will be coming off soon now that I know. All in all, the guy did a great job on it. I couldn’t believe the hood was as tall a me when I saw it standing up.

Looks very nice in the red/black color combination. Question...is there a black rubber strip/gasket on the rear quarter end caps ?
There should be a rubber cap like a split rubber tube that slips over the edge just inboard from the outside surface. That sort of keeps you from chipping the paint. You should never tighten the nuts too tight. I use the 3-M strip calk to seal around the nuts and studs.

Looks very nice in the red/black color combination. Question...is there a black rubber strip/gasket on the rear quarter end caps ?
There should be a rubber cap like a split rubber tube that slips over the edge just inboard from the outside surface. That sort of keeps you from chipping the paint. You should never tighten the nuts too tight. I use the 3-M strip calk to seal around the nuts and studs.
I ordered the 3m caulk and will take care of this on the holiday weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Very well done and definitely looks great on red and black combination. The parts from 4WheelOnline should be arriving this week and getting installed for our Camaro project before prepping it for the fresh paint. We have to stick to yellow and black though.

Very well done and definitely looks great on red and black combination. The parts from 4WheelOnline should be arriving this week and getting installed for our Camaro project before prepping it for the fresh paint. We have to stick to yellow and black though.
I have a 69 Mustang convertible I plan on painting bright yellow with black. Just like the boss 302 paint scheme. Thanks for your comment.

I have a 69 Mustang convertible I plan on painting bright yellow with black. Just like the boss 302 paint scheme. Thanks for your comment.
Can't wait to see that!

Hey,

Mine is getting ready to go into paint. Its never been apart as far as I can tell. I know there will be parts I need once it comes apart. Can you give me any insight into what you found needed replacing on yours? I would like to at least make a list of possible things I will need and have a source with them in stock ready to go if I need anything. You can post a reply to my thread here.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-preparing-for-paint

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the color combo but I might be biased! Btw, I noticed that your Mach 1, like mine, has the chrome trim running above the rockers...Does anyone know why some Mach 1's have this and others don't? Was it part of an option package etc? 

The standard trim for the '71-72 Mach 1 had argent or black lower accent paint with the thin molding above it. If the optional hockey stick body side stripes (Boss 351 stripes) were ordered, the thin molding was deleted and replaced with a pin stripe to separate the body and accent color. If you do see a vehicle with both, the stripe is not OE, as Ford did not build them in that combination.

The standard trim for the '71-72 Mach 1 had argent or black lower accent paint with the thin molding above it. If the optional hockey stick body side stripes (Boss 351 stripes) were ordered, the thin molding was deleted and replaced with a pin stripe to separate the body and accent color. If you do see a vehicle with both, the stripe is not OE, as Ford did not build them in that combination.
Didn't mean to highjack the post but thank you @Mustang Guru. I found original pictures of my car, prior to the repaint, it lacked the hockey stick stripes. Prior to now, I always wondered why I saw some with or without the chrome trim. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 3.23.48 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back