Front airfoil (spoiler)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed, fully optioned
I bought my 73 Mach 1 in 1978 off a used car lot.  It was equipped with front and rear spoilers.  My Marti report did not list them as factory built that way, so I suspect they were dealer adds.  The rear spoiler is listed as a factory available option in much 73 Mustang literature, but not the front spoiler.  The 73 Mustang body assembly manual shows the front airfoil (page H3Z-104) as only applicable to model 63 (Mach 1).  My question is was the front airfoil only installed as a dealer add on?  The same spoiler is used on 71s and 72s.       

The front spoiler only came on the car from the factory, if you ordered a Boss 351. Otherwise, all over the counter.....

I seem to recall even the Boss had the spoiler inside the car and dealer installed, I never owned one so did not dig into details. Something to do with shipping issues.
Sounds reasonable because those ramps up onto the Dearborn train cars were pretty steep. Probably would have toasted the spoiler. 

Back