Front Coil Spings Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys I have a question to ask advice on. My uncles car has now had about four sets of front coil springs installed on it. Seems after a few months of driving they settle to the point the front tires will rub the fender if you hit a bump while turning. As much history as I know, The wheels are stock magnum 500,s 15 inch. Not sure of the manufacturer of the previous springs but my uncle owns a garage and has been a mechanic all his life so I'm 100% sure he ordered the correct springs. Now for the curve ball the only thing I know all the springs have in common is that he has had all the sets powder coated. My theory is the heat from powder coating may be effecting the spring strength. Kinda talked with Don at OMS this morning when I ordered the new ones and he kinda agreed and also brought up back spacing on the rims but it only becomes a problem after a few months.:huh:

What size are the tires? Are the rims 15X7 or 15X8? How big a bump? (I've seen what you East Tennessee boys call "hills".) My car is running 235-60-15 Radial T/As on 15x7 Magnums with 1-1/4 coils cut off the springs. The only time i have any rubbing is at full lock the drivers side tire touches one of the steering box bolts.

I seriously doubt the 400 degree heat from the powdercoating process would weaken the spring. From what I know about metal you would need to anneal the steel to get it to lose it's temper and deform.

What size are the tires? Are the rims 15X7 or 15X8? How big a bump? (I've seen what you East Tennessee boys call "hills".) My car is running 235-60-15 Radial T/As on 15x7 Magnums with 1-1/4 coils cut off the springs. The only time i have any rubbing is at full lock the drivers side tire touches one of the steering box bolts.

I seriously doubt the 400 degree heat from the powdercoating process would weaken the spring. From what I know about metal you would need to anneal the steel to get it to lose it's temper and deform.

235/60 15 I think 15 x 7 and talking about slowly backing out of the driveway about 2-3 inch difference in the road

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree with droptop73.

I'd be more inclined to think that his backspacing is a little off and causes the tire to rub the framerail. I've run 255/60/15 on the front with only minor rubbing issues at full lock, and on the driver's side at the steering box bolts.

If it happens again, I'd just put a pair of hose clamps on the strut rod steering stops to limit the angle of the wheel.

Could the upper control arm eccentrics be backing off? We had this problem on the 71 and fixed it by getting a new set of eccentrics from Summit. The tires were cambered in at the tops and tucked way up under the fenders.

I'll agree with droptop73.

I'd be more inclined to think that his backspacing is a little off and causes the tire to rub the framerail. I've run 255/60/15 on the front with only minor rubbing issues at full lock, and on the driver's side at the steering box bolts.

If it happens again, I'd just put a pair of hose clamps on the strut rod steering stops to limit the angle of the wheel.
It rubs the fender not the frame rails

Could the upper control arm eccentrics be backing off? We had this problem on the 71 and fixed it by getting a new set of eccentrics from Summit. The tires were cambered in at the tops and tucked way up under the fenders.
Could you explain in more detail, not sure what you are talking about but sounds like a possibility

Last edited by a moderator:
It rubs the fender not the frame rails
Ah, missed that part. Where on the fender? If the caster is off and the wheel is pulled too far forward, it'll rub the fender and valance at the front. Been there, had to fix the paint.....

Could you explain in more detail, not sure what you are talking about but sounds like a possibility
Yeah, I'm not following that either. The eccentrics are on the lower arm. If they were loose, he'd know it......

Boy, I can't remember now...I thought it was on the upper arms but may have been the lowers. Dad changed them so I didn't get a good look. But the eccentrics kept backing out and causing the top of the tires to tilt inward and lowering the front end. When we installed the square eccentrics and set the wheel angle to zero deg, the front actually raised up a bit.

The more I think about it, I think it was on the lower arms...

powder coating can weaken the springs , been there done that.

it doesnt take much heat to weaken spring steel or i should say make it lose its spring and start collapseing..

one question tho? is the car a big block?, maybe he is ordering springs or the comapny he orders from doesnt understand the big block springs are considerably different. we order springs for sons camaro, it had small block , they sent big block , i found out after put in , the front end was two to three inches higher than back end lol. anyways hope ya get it solved with the new springs.

powder coating can weaken the springs , been there done that.

it doesnt take much heat to weaken spring steel or i should say make it lose its spring and start collapseing..

one question tho? is the car a big block?, maybe he is ordering springs or the comapny he orders from doesnt understand the big block springs are considerably different. we order springs for sons camaro, it had small block , they sent big block , i found out after put in , the front end was two to three inches higher than back end lol. anyways hope ya get it solved with the new springs.
No its a 351c car hopefully the new ones will be in soon. :-/

im currently using 15x8 factory magnum 500s off a 71 torino with a 265/50/15 up front. i am using moroso trick springs with 1 and a 1/2 rings cut out. The top of the tires are tucked about halfway into the fenderwell. The only time I get any form of rubbing is in reverse with the wheel at max left lock.

In your case, I couldn't see a factory wheel and tire size begin the problem. However, brand new springs take time to settle, and depending on the amount of driving time, maybe its taking that long for the spring to fully settle. The heat from powder-coating may realistically be the problem, and that heat may soften the spring enough that when its fully settled, it is well below the amount it should be causing it to rub.

Good luck! hope to hear how it turns out

Back