Front disc brake rattle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtBBQ

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 M Code
So I had a rattle on the front passenger side of my 71 Mach 1. To start with I took the front wheel off check to make sure all the suspension components were tight without any rattles. Looked at the brakes everything seemed fine. My hood I thought was a little bit loose so I tightened up the adjusters on the inside to take up any slack. Some of the rattle went away but I still had a rattle? Next I thought I might have a broken shock or coilover. A quick look and some quick testing by pushing down on the fender confirmed the shock and spring were fine. So I took it over to a buddy of mine to do a ride along with me to see if he could figure out what it was.

Let me start out by saying he's one of those guys that is a mechanical genius. He can fix anything anytime anywhere, he amazes me. So we brought it into his shop He took the front tire off and started investigating the suspension the shock etc etc. He then grabbed some wrenches and pulled the front disc caliper off. When he pulled the two bolts out, he noticed that they were all gummy and had a residue on them. We kind of figured that the rubber bushing that was in there had disintegrated from heat from the brake and just time. Instead it seems the previous owner or mechanic had just cut a piece of rubber fuel line and used that as a bushing around the bolt. All that didn't work really well hence the rattle. Pictures below are of the brake caliper the new rubber bushing and what I found inside on both sides. Hopefully this saves somebody else a lot of investigative work trying to solve the same sort of rattle. 

The first pick shows the rubber gas line around the caliper bolt. The second pic shows what was inserted and what a brand new rubber bushing looks like. The bolt goes inside of that rubber bushing and holds the brake pads in place. The third and fourth picture basically just shows the bolt and the rubber bushing how it looks on your caliper bracket.

MVIMG_20200920_133701.jpg

IMG_20200920_134556.jpg

IMG_20200920_131845.jpg

IMG_20200920_131551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple things - the clip that is under the brake pad is supposed to sit on top of it. Notice how high up the pad rides on the rotor? You also seem to be missing the stabilizer bracket on the back side of the caliper. Without that, the pins will eat the rubber guides up in no time. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1971,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132692,brake+&+wheel+hub,disc+brake+hardware+kit,1736

View attachment 44628
Thank you for the info. Which pic of mine shows the clip in the wrong position? I guess I need to get an assembly manual for the brakes so I can see exactly how that it's supposed to go together. I had no idea it was missing the back or plate

Thank you for the info. Which pic of mine shows the clip in the wrong position? I guess I need to get an assembly manual for the brakes so I can see exactly how that it's supposed to go together. I had no idea it was missing the back or plate
All of them. This clip should be on top of the metal backing of the disc brake pad. Two clips per pad, both sides. There's a bolt holding it in place, simply remove the bolt and put the clip on the outside. 

brakeclip.JPG

Here's one with the clips in the correct position and stabilizer bracket in place. 

71caliper.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back