Front disc brake swap master cylinder?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible restomod
2010 Grand Marquis Marauder clone
1995 Impala SS
1995 Silverado 2500HD
1984 Prova Countach
1966 Batmobile
Hello all!

Haven't had a Mustang in the garage since the 70's. Back then the brakes didn't seem to bad.

Just got a 71 convertible with manual 4 wheel drums. Driving it home I decided I already hated the brakes.

Does anybody have a part number or model  for a manual master cylinder to use for having front disc brakes or do I have to convert to power brakes as well?

Thank you.

I got all my parts off a donor 72 convertible for my disc brake swap. I did not use the power brake booster or master cylinder. I am still running the manual drum brake master cylinder with no problems for several years. Eventually I will swap to the power booster, but just haven't got that far yet.

There is a Maverick manual disc master cylinder that will bolt in place of the drum m/c, IIRC it's '74 & up.

FWIW, if you're going to the effort of swapping to discs, the correct power setup is the gravy on the mashed potatoes.Also makes the brake lines a lot easier too.

Hi and welcome.

My 71 Mach 1 was a total Plain Jane. 351C 4 v 4 speed with manual brakes and steering. No options at all other then a 4 speed with Hurst shifter, 4 barrel engine and an AM radio. The first time I drove the car, I just about crapped my pants. Manual steering isn't so bad till you need to park it, but the brakes had to go.

I opted for Kelsey-Hayes style 4 piston front disc brakes as they fit right on the drum spindles without alteration. The kit I bought from NPD. While at it, I did the obvious thing and installed stainless brake lines, I mean why not, you have the system totally open anyway. That kit comes with the master cylinder for disc/drum and also a separate rear adjustable control valve which is great to get the bias right.

Even with fitting the SS lines, the right side, done first, took me about 1 1/2 hrs, the left side literally took me half that time. I was very fortunate to have bought an exceptionally clean car, so I wasn't dealing with grease and other crud so your time might be different.

There are many other choices out there, so it depends on your budget and needs. While the KH style are a bit on the heavy side, they stop the car very well even before I added a power booster just last year. I ran manual discs for 6 years before making the booster swap-in........... and that's another story!!

All the best, hope that helps. If I knew how to add links to posts, I'd do that, but if you can figure out how to search the site, there is a load of info here.

Geoff.

Lots to sort through. I saw tons of listings for 64-70 stuff but limited choices on the 71. Looking at the maverick option.

I bought these earlier and hope they will work as advertised. They do not look like 4 pistons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-71-73-MBM-1521-FORD-MUSTANG-FAIRLANE-DISC-BRAKE-SPINDLES-CALIPERS-1973-1971/112676626776?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks for all the input!
 I'm no expert mechanic and not pretending to be, but I'd be wary about remanufactured stuff. Personally, I have found that lots of sellers claim stuff to fit "65 -73" but in reality, they're just trying to sell their junk.

It may be a bit more than you want to pay, but I'd buy something that has some sort of warranty and returnable if it's the wrong part. Your life depends on your BRAKES, why chance trying to make stuff work that was intended for other vehicles. Granted, some parts are interchangeable, but be wary.

Lots to sort through. I saw tons of listings for 64-70 stuff but limited choices on the 71. Looking at the maverick option.

I bought these earlier and hope they will work as advertised. They do not look like 4 pistons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-71-73-MBM-1521-FORD-MUSTANG-FAIRLANE-DISC-BRAKE-SPINDLES-CALIPERS-1973-1971/112676626776?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks for all the input!
Parts look correct, other than the hoses, which are wrong. Throw the bearings away. 

Here's the Maverick M/C listing on Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1974,maverick,5.0l+302cid+v8,1132210,brake+&+wheel+hub,master+cylinder,1836

Thanks for the info, definitely planned on new bearings and seals. Have always been a Timkin man. Will get that master cylinder and see how they feel.

Appreciate the support! Will get an avatar picture soon.

Back