Front End Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Well the 73 Mach 1 heads into the shop for a full motor/trans rebuild in the next few weeks. Just waiting on them to get the spot open. Seeing as she was last registered in 2015, I am preparing for them to tell me the front end needs some attention. I already knew this based on looking around under there. All the rubber bushings are crusty/worn out, and look to be the originals. I am assuming the best bet is just to replace everything as a kit? Would love to buy it on my own and just take it in, but about 95% of shops don't like that...since they get a markup on them. I don't like CJ parts, but they have some kits so it gives me an idea. Should I be looking at about $800ish to have all that done?

Compare this list of Moog parts from RockAuto to the CJ offering. This is everything except idler arm, drag link, spring perches, and shocks. Mark up can be a lot, depending on your mechanic, so go prepared with the cost and don't be afraid to ask if you can bring the parts.

1679504355252.png

Last edited:
Compare this list of Moog parts from RockAuto to the CJ offering. This is everything except idler arm, drag link, spring perches, and shocks. Mark up can be a lot, depending on your mechanic, so go prepared with the cost and don't be afraid to ask if you can bring the parts.

View attachment 74677
Yeah thats about 1/2 the cost before factoring in the parts you didn't mention. I am assuming they aren't on board with me bringing in those parts based on the reaction I got when I told them I already hade Longtubes to go with the rebuild. "Can't be responsible if they don't fit, we recommend Hedman, we don't like putting on other peoples parts" haha the full rundown. Which I partly understand, but at the same time I am saving them the hassle of ordering/waiting for them. Thank you!

I am looking to completely replace the front suspension and steering over the winter along with the rear sway bar, leaf springs are already replaced. I see the parts list above but can I get recommendations for 1" lower front springs, sway bars, drag link, and anything else to complete the list with the above list. Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Back