Front fender & hood pot metal trim pieces

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 radical custom build
Is anyone else unhappy with the way the front fender & hood trim fit? My hood piece is a heavy 1/4 too narrow and the angle and shape on the fender pieces are different from the fenders. Looking at pics I see some fit better than others. Has anyone directly dealt with this and in some way corrected either the fender shape or somehow the trim pieces. Any comments would be appreciated, at this time I don't know how to alter the trim so I'm thinking ill reshape the fenders. Also both fenders fit differently. Anyone have a nice straight on pic of a correct trim alignment ? Thank for any help here. I looked back and didn't notice this being brought up. If it has I apologize .

The problem with old cars is nothing fit very straight, compared to the way they do with today's cars. The factory standards were very low back in the good old days...maybe because that was before workplace drug testing:)

Ray,

Your complaint is a common one on both the fender trim as well as the rear quarter panel end caps. Your best bet is to try different pieces and pick the one that fits best or I have heard of people heating them up with a torch and while warm gently bending to fit the contour.

This is good to know, as I was just about to buy replacement pieces myself. But since mine aren't exactly terrible, maybe I'll just try to spruce up what I've got, which fit perfectly. :whistling:

My quarter trim and fender trim fit as good as can be expected, but the hood trim is a repop piece and is at least 1/4" too short. Looks like poop and I need to find a nice used original. or NOS...

:wavemulticolor:+ 1 also and please remember, our Mustangs are a looking at being 45 years old this quarter. I would imagine that back when they were built, things did tend to fit a little better.

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

fiberglass filler can be used to buildup low/short areas with conventional filler on top to get a smooth surface. Chuck

I too am having a problem with finding after market chrome fender extensions / brow pieces.

Back