Front Parking Brake Cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezsnake

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang, 351C 4V
Happy 4th of July, Everyone!  Quick question concerning the routing of the front parking brake cable.  As I was working on the rear drum brakes on my '71, I discovered the front cable from the parking brake foot pedal was frozen.  No amount of soaking in penetrating oil was going to free this thing up, so I decided to replace. 

I'm wondering the correct way this cable is supposed to run through the floor pan?  My parts diagram is not that helpful.  I'm pretty sure whoever replaced the floor pan once upon a time didn't do this correctly.  The widest part of the new cable is the top collar, which is about 11/16.  So, the hole through the floor needs to be at least that big.  But, the cable sheath is only 3/8.  Is there anything that secures the sheath at the floor pan?  I see the rubber sleeve on the new cable is the same diameter as the top collar, so my first though is that might act as a grommet between the pan and the cable sheath.  But, I would need to slide it way up the cable from how it came from the factory.  Please see attached pic.

Thanks for your help!

I just did this yesterday, you are right about the rubber sleeve. It does act like a grommet. The hole is actually oblonged because the cable is fit thru the floor at an angle. I had to drill a hole and then shape it with a die grinder to get the right shape. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the hole because I fit the cable thru and it will not come out now because it's a very snug fit. I didn't see your post until today otherwise I could of took some pictures of the hole. I do have a couple pics of it finished. Hope this helps. Ryan 

View attachment 38686

View attachment 38687

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan, do I see correctly that your cable runs down the inside of the floor pan, and goes through the floor just before it reaches the bend to the flat part of the pan?  This is very similar routing to my dad's 70 Torino, but very different from how mine runs now (or did).  My cable was going through a slot in the floor near the top of the floor pan, only about 5" or so from the connection to the parking brake assembly (see pic).  This would also explain why the rubber sleeve looks like it was in the wrong place from the factory.

Yes, the cable runs down the inside of the floor pan. The floor pan has a channel stamped in it for the cable to run down and yes, the hole is just above where the floor pan bends. Hope this helps. Ryan

Awesome! Glad I didn't start cutting already. For whatever reason, whoever installed the floor pan routed the cable in the wrong place. I wouldn't have known without your help. Thanks!

Awesome!  Glad I didn't start cutting already.  For whatever reason, whoever installed the floor pan routed the cable in the wrong place.  I wouldn't have known without your help.  Thanks!
No problem, glad to help out. Ryan

Back