Front Seat Back Upholstery Installation Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I found a few years old thread here but I am hoping someone can help. Front seat vertical portion (front seat back)....how high up should i be able to go when securing the two vertical listing wires with hog rings? The way the upholstery is made precludes one from getting to top where the horizontal listing wire is? I think i can maybe get as high as about where my thumb is. Is that high enough or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 20230125_135930.jpg
    20230125_135930.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 0
So I realized I sorta did not do the front seat backs quite right. Having torn down a few seats I now know there are at least 3 different types of vertical listing rods. My oldest ones from a parts car (I think) are the typical rods with the looped ends. About the diameter of a clothes hangar rod. Another type is a much larger diameter round rod that is more like a bar. Another type is triangular cross section bar. I use the word bar for the last two since they are not really flexible. These bars (this is where I screwed up I think) are meant to be inserted into a sorta looped section at the ends of the lateral rod towards the top of the seat back. That also explains why those seat types were only secured at the bottom of the vertical rods (the upper portion being secured by the lateral rod). I noticed this when taking apart the one seat with the heavier round bars.

Back