Front Seat Foam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I bought new upholstery for my '73 Tang front seats.  I plan to go original/Standard all the way. 
Need to R&R the foam, obviously.  There seems to be a bigger choice than just standard "foam".  I am seeing "TMI foam", and "Deluxe Foam". Usually the cost is ca. $135 per seat but I am seeing some from "Classic Industries" for $65.
   I am a bit concerned the cheap ones are too cheap.
Any recommendations?
Since i want it fitted correctly, I plan to take the seats, foam and upholstery to a professional shop.

TNX

Roy

I would stay away from the super cheap foam. I can say that the TMI OEM replacement fit really good, and the foam is a bit more dense so the upholstery comes out looking nice and tight. Good luck.

+1 with Omie01.  I used TMI and the seats turned out nice.  You want a good foam that will hold up and is comfortable.  For what the upholsterers are going to charge you to do them the last thing you want to do is use cheap foam that will degrade over a short time and then have to have them redone again.  

Yes, I am a bit wary of the really cheap ones.  I want it done right which is why I am going to have a professional do it.
   TNX, Mate

I have been trying to order the TMI Foam but there are several flavors to choose from.  There is "Sport", "Premium" but no description of what the differences are.

I need a standard, factory foam.  Original reproduction.  Not anything special.
Any advice?

Any of them will work except for the Sport R.   As the name implies the Premium is the better grade of the two standard seat foams.  The Sport foam offers more increased bolster support - foam on the side - helps hold you in the seat when you take those sharp turns :biggrin: .   I used the Premium when I did mine and am happy with it.

Any of them will work except for the Sport R.   As the name implies the Premium is the better grade of the two standard seat foams.  The Sport foam offers more increased bolster support - foam on the side - helps hold you in the seat when you take those sharp turns :biggrin: .   I used the Premium when I did mine and am happy with it.

TNX,
The foam is plenty dear.  Cost more than the upholstery.  Whew !!!
Did you have an upholstery shop do it or did you do it yourself?

Back