Front sits too high

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKsilverMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 302ci with 3 speed manual. Light pewter metalic with a red and black interior.
Hi, I have renewed all the suspension on my 302 Mach1. Nearly all the parts are back on the car, all except the front screen and finishing the interior. However the car still looks high on the front end.

You can see by the pic how high it is sitting. Will this settle given time or will I have to fit different springs ? By the way, these are small block springs.

2013-07-26191458_zpsa2201a1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine were the same way and didn't settle. I hate it and plan to put new lowering springs in with my new engine(aluminum heads/intake). Mine doesn't sit that high though.
Yes it has made me wonder if I was sent the wrong springs and have big block springs instead ?

Nice looking car!

Last time I saw a 71-73 sitting that high in the front the engine was out of it. My car settled "about" an inch a few weeks after replacing my springs and shocks. I'm sure someone will come along with some advice.

Jim

Nice looking car!

Last time I saw a 71-73 sitting that high in the front the engine was out of it. My car settled "about" an inch a few weeks after replacing my springs and shocks. I'm sure someone will come along with some advice.

Jim

Thank you, I am two years into a full restoration. This has had a couple of months to settle but it looks like it's not going to settle as much as expected. I don't thing the screen and carpet will make much difference some how :))

Another angle.

2013-07-26191414_zps3c6765f0.jpg

Now that's shooting for the stars!

Yeah something is not correct here, it really seems as if there is a 500lbs engine missing out of your car.

I think the 1" lowering springs from Scott Drake are the way to go on our cars. Nice car BTW.

Jeff

Now that's shooting for the stars!

Yeah something is not correct here, it really seems as if there is a 500lbs engine missing out of your car.

You need to go to the jeep forum next door:) ',make 'em all jealous.

Beautiful car by the way...

Mine had that stance and my mates kept saying, when you bringing the jeep around...

It didn't help that I lowered the rear first though. Easy fix... I used 1 inch drop gt springs. Had to be careful with the long tube headers though.

To help the look a little better I also used 70 profile front tires to fill in the gap nicely.

New springs settle after just a few miles of driving. I'm guessing that without the windshield, the car has yet to be driven.

Be patient, Grasshopper.

Once you get the car on the road and get some miles on it the springs will "set". The most predictable way to lower the front is to cut the springs. If you go with 1" lowering springs you are in the same uncertain condition you are in now. Many don't like cutting springs but when done properly it is both safe and predictable.

Oce you get the car on the road and get some miles on it the springs will "set". The most predictable way to lower the front is to cut the springs. If you go with 1" lowering springs you are in the same uncertain condition you are in now. Many don't like cutting springs but when done properly it is both safe and predictable.
+1 and only cut half a coil at a time so you don't go to far, and yes I know it's a lot of work but that's the best way to do it

I agree with "sneaking" up on it.

Actually I have a "formula" that works pretty well.

Measure the distance between the coils at "normal" ride height. Say 1" for calculations

Measure the distance from the upper control arm pivot to the ball joint and to the spring perch.

Calculate the percentage of the total length the pivot to perch dimension. (mine is right around 50%)

Determine the amount of drop you want. Say 2 inches... for calculation sake.

For an illustration using the numbers above, a 2" drop will occur by cutting 1 coil if the motion ratio is 50%.

I have used this many times and it is pretty predictable. Another note; if a coil spring has 10 coils cutting one off will increase the spring rate by 10%.

Are you sure you put the engine back in? LOL

Depending on where you bought your new front springs, either you mistakenly bought the wrong appllication, or they sold you a "one size fits all" item.

There were a bewildering array of different springs specified for any combination of drivetrain and option content when the car was assembled at the factory.

Most vendors have 2 or 3 different apps available, where Ford may have had as many as 15-20 different applications for a single model.

When it comes to buying springs, I have always suggested Eaton-Detroit over any other vendor. They have all of the factory specs for spring rates for each combo and will make your springs for your specific vehicle.

Even if you want to modify your ride height (up or down), they will custom make them just for you.

The best part? They are no more expensive than any other vendor for the springs.

I have used them for 6 different cars over the years, and have been satisfied every time.

Look 'em up.

Thank you all for your replies, some funny :)

Just looked back over the order and the full suspension kit I bought from Laurel Mtn mustangs is clearly marked as SB. However like has been explained, there are so many variations, it could mean anything.

Will probably wait till everything is fitted, including the screen and if it is still too high I will cut one half of one spring off.

I've not done this before and would guess it comes off the bottom of the spring.

Back