Front sits too high

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, pretty easy to do.

First, make sure the REAR is set at the height you want. If new rear springs are in your plans install them first.

Cut only 1/4 of a coil off the bottom of each spring and see if you like it. Drive for 50 miles or so...it won't do any more "settling" beyond that. If still way too high, lop off another 1/4.

Repeat until you get it.where you want it.

UKsilverMach1,

You could call Laurel Mountain Mustang and send them the same picture listed here and to see what they say. I know that it is standard to cut coil springs, but with the Coil spring, the

Strength of coil springs are determined by the diameter of the wire, length of the wire used, and diameter of the finished coil. I would rather have the correct spring with the correct rate. But that is me!

mustang7173

UKsilverMach1,

You could call Laurel Mountain Mustang and send them the same picture listed here and to see what they say. I know that it is standard to cut coil springs, but with the Coil spring, the

Strength of coil springs are determined by the diameter of the wire, length of the wire used, and diameter of the finished coil. I would rather have the correct spring with the correct rate. But that is me!

mustang7173
Probably the best move with hindsight. I have sent LMM an email with both photos attached to see what they suggest. Then I will go from there.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have emailed LMM and they asked for measurements and numbers of coils

I'm running 15x8 rear and 15x7 front. Gap at the rear, top of tyre to arch is 2" (I'm happy with that) but front gap is 4 1/2" ??

There are 9 coils on front springs.

The one's in the link on ebay will be the standard springs...not the same if your car came with competition suspension.

The one's I would recommend and have seen a number of cars with people who were happy with them are these...

Jeff

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c7zz-5310-p

Have seen these 8 coils on ebay, advertised by LMM, for 71-73 302 351 cars.

Could be the answer to the problem ?

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380464446508&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

The one's in the link on ebay will be the standard springs...not the same if your car came with competition suspension.

The one's I would recommend and have seen a number of cars with people who were happy with them are these...

Jeff

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380464446508&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Would my car have come with stock or competition suspension ?

It's a Mach 1 running a 3 speed and 302 and only the small front anti roll bar.

I'm guessing this would be stock ?

Most likely stock...

Most mustangs from the factory sat really high in the front end. The 1" lowering will be better for handling and performance. They will be a little bit stiffer than your stock one's but not extreme. Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff

Link

Would my car have come with stock or competition suspension ?

It's a Mach 1 running a 3 speed and 302 and only the small front anti roll bar.

I'm guessing this would be stock ?

Thanks Jeff, that's helpful to know.

Hello UKsilverMach1,

Do you have A/C and or Power Steering? This is very important when looking for new Coil springs. According to the Ford Master parts Catalog, your 1972 Mustang 63R has the heavy duty springs with competition suspension. According, the parts book, there are two listings for the

63R 3/S 302 engine.

1: 63R (N32) Before 6/5/1972

2: 63R (N33) After 6/5/1972

P/S & A/C > Spring > 4L

Normal Load (lbs) > 1670 LBs.

Number Coils > 8 ¾

Wire Diam. 0.650

Free length Height: 14 5/8

I have included the reference information so you can look up the coil springs and get a good idea of what might work.

Mustang Body Codes

27yzfjp.jpg

1972 Mustang Listings

25rcigl.jpg

Coil Spring Cross Reference

30szzah.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts catalog - FMC C. May 1975

Please keep us posted.

mustang7173 :D

:D fix the whole height problem very easily by installing a Big Block motor! :D Good luck these guys will get you where you need to be! Beautiful car by the way!!

UKsilverMach1,

Here is a good book on Mustang suspension and Handling. It is a bit outdated, but the concepts are still sound.

Mustang Performance and Handling Guide, 1964-1985 Paperback

by Pete Sessler (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Performance-Handling-Guide-1964-1985/dp/0879381973/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378730520&sr=1-2&keywords=mustang+suspension+and+performance

turtle5353 - A fabulous idea! I can hear that Big Block humming down through the backward roads of the UK.

Glad too see all the input about this topic. I have the same issue w/ the car I just bought and as some have mentioned, I thought the previous owner installed big block springs. I bought some coil compressors yesterday and at some point during the restoration, I'll use the advice here to lower the stance (cutting 1/4 from the bottom of the coil).

You guys are great!

Jet

Mustang7173,

That's a cool posting with all the details. It nearly makes sense to me although I am not sure of a couple of things under "1972 mustangs listings".

From what I can make out, my car is either '63R(N32)' or '63R(N33)'

My car comes with PS only so following the graph down is either a 4L or a 4K. Which are two different sets of springs ?

What do you guys think ?

I did find an old build sheet under the carpet when I stripped the car. Here are a couple of photos of the sheet to help (or hinder further) :)

2013-09-09173536_zps65f3278b.jpg

2013-09-09173600_zps70f682ac.jpg

:D fix the whole height problem very easily by installing a Big Block motor! :D Good luck these guys will get you where you need to be! Beautiful car by the way!!
Ha. first on the list are a couple of electric fans and a 5 speed conversion. But then that's another thread ;)

UKsilverMach1,

According to the Ford Master Parts catalog, your 1972 Mustang (63R) Mach 1 with only Power Steering installed, came with the 4K springs. Check out the differences in the 4K and 4L springs.

I called Eaton Detroit Springs and they stated that the C7ZZ-5310-AA corresponds to the MC1250 springs. I told him how high the front was sitting up and he stated that something was wrong. He also stated that the MC1250 spring was made with the wire size was 0.673 diameter with a free height of 14 5/8 inches tall.

It seems that the MC1250 was made more in line with the 4L spring. He also stated that the 0.635 wire was a bit too small. Interesting! It would be a definite benefit to give them call about the front coils.

2j1v6ki.jpg

source: Ford Master Parts Catalog, Copyright FMC May, 1975

UKsilverMach1,

According to the Ford Master Parts catalog, your 1972 Mustang (63R) Mach 1 with only Power Steering installed, came with the 4K springs. Check out the differences in the 4K and 4L springs.

I called Eaton Detroit Springs and they stated that the C7ZZ-5310-AA corresponds to the MC1250 springs. I told him how high the front was sitting up and he stated that something was wrong. He also stated that the MC1250 spring was made with the wire size was 0.673 diameter with a free height of 14 5/8 inches tall.

It seems that the MC1250 was made more in line with the 4L spring. He also stated that the 0.635 wire was a bit too small. Interesting! It would be a definite benefit to give them call about the front coils.

Excellent Mustang7173. Thank you very much for all the well informed leg work you've done on this subject.

There is quite a difference between the 4L and 4K springs. For a start there is nearly a one coil difference between the two springs. Mine being the 4K eight coils.

Which begs the question of, companies that offer full suspension kits inturpreting Small Blocks kits as using 9 coils and Big Block kits as using 10 coils, is misleading.

I have been exchanging emails with Laurel Mountain Mustang over the past few days, complete with the photos in the thread. The last email stated the front SB 9 coils, supplied with the kit, will do most of their 'settling' in the first 100 miles.

With a 4 1/2" gap between the top of the tyre and the wing arch, I can't see it myself and think there should be advice on cars fitted with engine bay extras.

I will phone Eaton Detroit springs and see what they have to offer.

UKsilverMach1,

Excellent Mustang7173. Thank you very much for all the well informed leg work you've done on this subject.

There is quite a difference between the 4L and 4K springs. For a start there is nearly a one coil difference between the two springs. Mine being the 4K eight coils.

Which begs the question of, companies that offer full suspension kits inturpreting Small Blocks kits as using 9 coils and Big Block kits as using 10 coils, is misleading.

I have been exchanging emails with Laurel Mountain Mustang over the past few days, complete with the photos in the thread. The last email from LMM stated the front SB 9 coils, supplied with the kit, will do most of their 'settling' in the first 100 miles.

With a 4 1/2" gap between the top of the tyre and the wing arch, I can't see it myself and think there should be advice on cars fitted with engine bay extras.

I will phone Eaton Detroit springs and see what they have to offer.

For some reason the post was duplicated and I can not see the EDIT button.

EDIT - Fixed it for ya. :) Doc

UKsilverMach1,

Please keep us posted on your findings and results. If you can not get any solutions from Laurel Mountain Mustang and Eaton Detroit Springs, then the recommendations by droptop73 and Boss1Ray might be in order. This is a proven process by forum members.

mustang7173 :)

Back