Front Springs for 429CJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1966 coupe - 347w
1971 Mach 1 - J code
1972 Mach 1 - Q code
G'Day all I have just brought a 71 Jcode Mach1 and I'm looking to replace /upgrade the suspension amongst other things, I'm going to use Koni shocks, front and rear with Grab a Trak 4 1/2 leaf mid eye leaf springs out back, But I'm not shaw on which springs to use up front, Would like them 1'' lowwered, would the 620lb springs be enough with the weight of the 429 and air con...

I can't find the spec for the factory OEM springs..

You should be fine using the 620s.

I have essentially the same setup (except I am using KYBs instead of Konis) on my 1973 Grande. The Grande has a 472 (429 with 460 crank bored .060).

Here is a picture of how it sits.

2wpt3wk.jpg

BT

Chuck, Thanks for the great resource!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will you buy the Koni shocks ? I want some but can't find the front ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will you buy the Koni shocks ? I want some but can't find the front ones...
I was going to use the top shockie mount plates off a 69-70 mustang for the Koni's in the front, I rekon they would fit with a little fiddling around.

BUT I ended up buying Edelbrock shocks front and rear, from Eaton springs. An a set of rear leaf springs of them as well, and a set of front coil springs too, for good measure..

Back