Frustrated Need Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to suggest that you get four .125" dowel pins. Put clay balls on the top and bottom of all of the ports. Put the four dowels one on each corner and sit the intake down and press against the dowels between the head and intake then lift and measure the clay thickness. If they are way off from top to bottom you would need to have something re-cut to match. You can put some across the ends also to see if everything is coming down even. That stops you from having to guess what is off. If the gap between the head and intake is much greater than the ends then someone probably cut the head or the deck.

You can use long feeler gauges to check also with the dowels in place.

Gaskets are there to take up the variation in the machined parts and surfaces that is their function. We did build some engines and did not put head gaskets on just lapped the heads to the block. No gasket to blow. I had a set of angle plates that bolted to the ends of Ford heads and we ground them on a big wet surface grinder to get a much smoother surface before lapping.

You would never want to do that on a street engine to many heat cycles and would leak.

Sounds like you are good to go for now.

David

New Question....

So my throttle linkage is dragging the bottom of my air cleaner assembly. This is an issue for obvious reasons.

Has anyone modified their air cleaner assembly to fix this? Or am I just now in the market for a new air cleaner?

just get a spacer and slip int under the air cleaner

something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9340/overview/

You can find them in various heights Just get the shortest one you can find that will give you clearance. You may need to replace the threaded rod too, to accommodate the additional height

Back