fuel filter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
I cleaned out my carb and it has lots of craps so I was going to change the fuel filter and can't find it, I traced the lines still can't rind it so, can some one tell me where it is or where it goes so I can install one.

I cleaned out my carb and it has lots of craps so I was going to change the fuel filter and can't find it, I traced the lines still can't rind it so, can some one tell me where it is or where it goes so I can install one.
2150_accpump_01.jpg

On motorcraft carbs, the inline fuel filter is hard to not find as it is a small(3/4" diameter x 1 1/2") can threaded into the carburetor(just to the left of the #1 arrow) on one end and then a hose clamp fitting to a 2" piece of hose, then an intricately bent steel pipe down to the fuel pump.

Many people hate the OEM filter setup because the threads on the carb are soft and of a "pipe fitting" style. It doesn't help that the filter is small and always seems to be clogged at the wrong time.

As a result, the fuel filter is usually replaced, but it is always between the fuel pump and carb. If you don't have one, then you need to add one. If you have ever taken apart your carb, you know all the small orifices that can get plugged with one tiny piece of dirt.

also if you have the filter in hand take off the air filter set up and match it up and like wolverine said its up front so if you pop the hood and look straight at the carb its more to the left on the front hope this helps good luck

Back