Fuel Hose Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi All, I purchased a fuel hose kit with correct clamps but I'm not so sure if it will be enough hose from tank to line, by the LH apron and from the short line to the fuel pump. In the kit there's one piece of hose about 20" long and a short piece 5" long. 

I am aware of needing more fuel hose from tank vent to vapor line and another hose from vent line to fuel vapor canister. What would be a good hose?

My 'correct' fuel line hose I got from Marti Auto Works had an inside diameter too large to fit snug on the 4300D fuel filter nipple.

I ended up using some regular Autozone fuel line and cutting to fit. Ended up not using correct clamps either and went with worm gear clamps! No question they are tight.

Ray

I agree with Ray. Buy some good hose from your favorite auto parts store. Make sure it's OK for alcohol in the fuel.

Get gear clamps or spring clamps. I've been using the spring clamps lately, as the temperatures change and the rubber shrinks the spring clamps keep pressure on the hose. Easier to put on and take off the round ones with pliers designed for them, or grind notches in regular pliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at some steel lines at the Auto parts store today and they weren't gonna work very well. Next up, I saw the copper nickel 3/8 inch tubing on ebay, 25' for $50. It looked good, but then I found the factory replacement 2 piece steel line by ss_tubes for $65 and free shipping. I ordered that. I think replacing old line with new line with factory bends will be best. Will update in few days once I get it installed.

I purchased alcohol resistant fuel hose (for fuel injection) for $6 a foot! Got a little fuel on the outside of the hose and the lettering rubbed right off, alcohol resistant my A$$. $35 total for a non returnable item, thanks a lot NAPA!  :mad:

I found when I was replacing my rubber fuel/vapor lines that Gates has a hose specifically for fuel vapor use, it was a little less expensive than the alcohol resistant fuel hose but not by much. As expensive as the hoses are I was glad to save whatever I could...

Hi All, I purchased a fuel hose kit with correct clamps but I'm not so sure if it will be enough hose from tank to line, by the LH apron and from the short line to the fuel pump. In the kit there's one piece of hose about 20" long and a short piece 5" long. 

I am aware of needing more fuel hose from tank vent to vapor line and another hose from vent line to fuel vapor canister. What would be a good hose?
There is also a rubber fuel line in the engine bay below the master cylinder, don't know if you knew that, I didn't, but found it thanks to this site...…………...

Just a few comments.

First definitely use Fuel Injector hose. I had the same issue with gas on the outside, but it's on the inside that counts. One would assume that the manufacturers of these high priced hoses would make sure it is gas proof inside and out!! I guess not though.

Replace all the rubber lines with FI hose including under the hood. I do use a steel  inline fuel filter between the apron and pump, not all agree, but I have zero issues with a filter in this location, my choice.

As for the main tank line, I chose SS, but had to do some "adjustments" to get it to fit. This has been discussed before. As I use a Holley carb, I also made up a better fitting line from the pump to carb. The only rubber in that line is a short length at the pump to take up vibrations.

PLEASE do not rely on those damn gear clamps. Not only are they UGLY, they invariable fail at some point. I use correct spring or squeeze clamps, those ones with the two 'ears' that you use a special tool to squeeze together to tighten. (pliers will work in a "pinch". Excuse the pun.)

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is also a rubber fuel line in the engine bay below the master cylinder, don't know if you knew that, I didn't, but found it thanks to this site...…………...
Yeah 2 pieces of hose for vapor line, 4 pieces of hose for fuel line.

Back