fuel line coming off gas tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scvol

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351C
I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas of a precautionary insulator to put around the fuel line coming out of the gas tank. It is so close to the exhaust it just bothers me knowing if that thing sprang a leak that it wouldn't take long to go up in flames. I was thinking of some cool tape or a spark plug cover.

Oh Great! Now I have another thing to worry about.

Realistically I don't know that it is hot enough back there to cause the gas to reach auto ignition temp which a quick web search (always taken with a grain of salt) is 475 degrees or higher.

its close but as long as you have a air gap between the tail pipe and the hose you will be ok.

Fuel isn't that easy to ignite on its own. its vapors that ignite.

however, the Tailpipe section doesn't get that hot compared to before the mufflers.

as long as the hose is routed so it doesn't make contact with the pipe and has maybe 1/2" clearance your fine.

look its a 40 year old car, your in more danger of getting rear ended bursting the tank and causing a fire then the hose being too close for comfort around the tail pipe. The original tailpipe extensions were more dangerous with sharp spears pointing at the gas tank.

look its a 40 year old car, your in more danger of getting rear ended bursting the tank and causing a fire then the hose being too close for comfort around the tail pipe. The original tailpipe extensions were more dangerous with sharp spears pointing at the gas tank.
Thanks for the comforting thought! rofl

Couple that with no rollover or side impact protection...

Last edited by a moderator:

Then buy a SAAb you sissies::tease::

yes lol rofl how very true...

Then buy a SAAb you sissies::tease::
Not complaining but I have had the stuff scared out of me due to everything you can hear in an open car (a friend with a diesel horn on his car). But... like I've said before coupes are for chickens. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

71-3 Mustangs do in fact have side impact beams in the doors and IIRC, were one of the first cars to be so outfitted. Rollover - whatever, the beltline on these cars is so high you'll be fine.

71-3 Mustangs do in fact have side impact beams in the doors and IIRC, were one of the first cars to be so outfitted. Rollover - whatever, the beltline on these cars is so high you'll be fine.
As long as I can duck quick enough! :D

Back