Fuel Line Grommets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi Everyone,

Are there 3 fuel line grommets on our cars? Should there be a 1-hole grommet where the fuel line from the tank goes through the rear fender apron, then a 2-hole grommet for the fuel line and brake line going through the shock tower (same size as the 1-hole) and finally a smaller 1-hole grommet for the fuel line going through the front fender apron to the fuel pump? Who sells them? I can only find the 1-hole grommet for sale, but not the 2-hole or the smaller grommet!

Also NPD, I just bought these for my total fuel system upgrade. 9369-3k single hole and 9369-4k dual hole grommet

BUT, riddle me this Batman. Why does that fuel line NEED to go through the apron, connect with rubber hose to another line that goes through the shock tower, then down to fuel pump? I realize there is a need for part of the line to be higher than the tank to stop fuel going back, but if it just simply went up to that height, then along and back down beside the shock tower all on the outer apron, it would have the same effect without a length of rubber hose. Ford MUST have had a reason, but it's lost on me. Maybe that engineer had been smoking something......... after all, it was the early 70's!!!

Also NPD, I just bought these for my total fuel system upgrade. 9369-3k single hole and 9369-4k dual hole grommet

BUT, riddle me this Batman. Why does that fuel line NEED to go through the apron, connect with rubber hose to another line that goes through the shock tower, then down to fuel pump? I realize there is a need for part of the line to be higher than the tank to stop fuel going back, but if it just simply went up to that height, then along and back down beside the shock tower all on the outer apron, it would have the same effect without a length of rubber hose. Ford MUST have had a reason, but it's lost on me. Maybe that engineer had been smoking something......... after all, it was the early 70's!!!
That is a good riddle...I don't have an answer!  lollerz I thought the last grommet (single hole) closest to the radiator support was smaller in diameter?

That is a good riddle...I don't have an answer!  lollerz I thought the last grommet (single hole) closest to the radiator support was smaller in diameter?
 Yeah, to be honest, NPD in Detroit only had 1 single hole grommet in stock, so I didn't replace the forward one yet or the one at the top of the inlet line....... where it goes through the apron!! I'll double check if it is smaller, don't think it is though.

Batman says:

"Ford engineers in the early 70's were a nerdy group.  They got together and thought that if they design a crazy system, some smoes in 45+ years will wonder what is going on.  So they decided to go ahead and play a trick on future geezers who would try to second guess a bunch of nerds.  Call it 'Forward to the Past'.

C'mon, Robin...let''s see if we can pick up some broads at Moe's Tavern...what do you say?"

Batman says:

"Ford engineers in the early 70's were a nerdy group.  They got together and thought that if they design a crazy system, some smoes in 45+ years will wonder what is going on.  So they decided to go ahead and play a trick on future geezers who would try to second guess a bunch of nerds.  Call it 'Forward to the Past'.

C'mon, Robin...let''s see if we can pick up some broads at Moe's Tavern...what do you say?"
 Well said! Yeah lets go to Moe's Tavern. Sounds like a plan.

I worked in the industry back in the day, for a company that manufactured many of the air cleaners we crave for now ( and junked boxes of them later when they were out of service) and we had a saying about engineers. "you can always tell an engineer, but you can't tell  him much!!"

The first place the fuel line enters the engine compartment, through the apron, is where the straight sixes' fuel pumps were connected to. They exited the engine compartment with the fuel line for V8s, through the spring tower, so the fuel line wouldn't run too close to the exhaust manifold. 

Doing this just requires one fuel line type that runs from the fuel tank to the front.

The first place the fuel line enters the engine compartment, through the apron, is where the straight sixes' fuel pumps were connected to. They exited the engine compartment with the fuel line for V8s, through the spring tower, so the fuel line wouldn't run too close to the exhaust manifold. 

Doing this just requires one fuel line type that runs from the fuel tank to the front.
 Well Don, You've done it again. Explained the unexplainable!! I was not aware that the six cylinder cars had a fuel pump in that location. I've only seen one six cyl. 71-73 and it was a scrapper, not much left of it and I did not notice this difference.

So, I guess the Ford engineers weren't smoking whacky tobacky after all!

Thanks for the insight, I'm sure others are enlightened as well.

Geoff.

Back