Fuel Sender

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Fastback
Just wondering if someone can put me in the right direction for a new fuel sender. I have installed a new 20 gallon tank in my 73 along with all new components from CJ's and the fuel sender failed within the first month, the plastic float filled with fuel. I replaced it with another from CJ's thinking it was just an unlucky purchase. This one has also failed within a month.

Can anyone put me in the right direction for a decent unit?

Contact Don at Ohio Mustang Supply. He has The brass float units at a reasonable price and he actually knows these cars. He's not just someone taking an order. Chuck

Another vote for Mr Don, I'm in outback Western Australia. and have found him to be excellent to deal with. for odd, small and everything in between, if the E-mail starts to get a little hectic back and forth wise just call him up.

Great Bloke to deal with and the personal service you get from him, Can't be match by the bigger sellers..

the repops have a lot of issues, Contact don at ohio...

what you want is the brass float, stainless steel version of the sender if you can get it.

now it is not unheard of for the re-pops to leak from the wire connector seals. I had to go through 3 senders before i got one that doesn't leak, but all show incorrect fuel levels and that is another issue to deal with.

the plastic float ones seem to fail a lot more often.

The one I bought from CJ's back in 2005 began leaking at the terminal connection after a few years and had the fuel line connection in the wrong direction. No problem with the float, but it was brass.

I bought a replacement from Don at Ohio Mustang in 2011 and so far no problems.

See this thread for info on leak and pics of the sending units.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-warning-check-your-reproduction-gas-sending-unit?page=2&highlight=sender
I had the same problem with a sending unit I got from Mustangs Unlimited back in 1997. I did not have a fuel leak but the fuel outlet line was in the wrong direction and after 3 years the float (plastic) filled with fuel. There is just too many parts made over seas and guess what? They suck!

Ron

Don has the stainless version.

IMG_0680_zpsb3575049.jpg

Another vote for Mr Don, I'm in outback Western Australia. and have found him to be excellent to deal with. for odd, small and everything in between, if the E-mail starts to get a little hectic back and forth wise just call him up.

Great Bloke to deal with and the personal service you get from him, Can't be match by the bigger sellers..
Where in WA are you? I'm in Perth but running around the mines pretty commonly. Maybe we could catch up for a beer one day?

Back