Fuelpump replacement - not so easy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
Finally had some time to jack the car up and attempt to replace my weak fuel pump.

I couldn't get the threaded connection of the line to the carb to break free. I hit it with PB Blaster, and gave it an hour to soak in while I drove to the store to buy a 1/2 inch line wrench so I wouldn't round over the nut.

No such luck. The thing won't budge, and I rounded the nut.

I think it may be time for a new fuel line too :(

I got it from summit or jegs?? Its an adapter fitting to go from the stock threads on the pump to the AN fittings. Not sure exactly what one it was but they should be able to help you out. I told them what I had and they shipped me what I needed. I will look around and see if I can find the actual fitting part number for ya.

I put a fitting in the fuel pump and ran braided stainless lines with AN fittings up to the carb. Im very happy with the results.
Same here..You need a adapter fitting from the pump to AN-fitting..then it's all 6AN fittings from there..depending on the carb if you don't have a AN style feed line you can just cut the stainless & use a hose clamp there..I plumb a in line filter right on the pump plus I have one at the tank to. So after the adapter it's a 6an to 6an 90..a 6an billet filter & then a 6an to the stainless 45

IMG_0267.JPG

Same here..You need a adapter fitting from the pump to AN-fitting..then it's all 6AN fittings from there..depending on the carb if you don't have a AN style feed line you can just cut the stainless & use a hose clamp there..I plumb a in line filter right on the pump plus I have one at the tank to. So after the adapter it's a 6an to 6an 90..a 6an billet filter & then a 6an to the stainless 45
Hey, Q... Is your water pump not installed in that pic? Man, I wish I had that kind of access. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get to the top nut on my pump once I get the lines freed up.

Hey, Q... Is your water pump not installed in that pic? Man, I wish I had that kind of access. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get to the top nut on my pump once I get the lines freed up.
I think he's running a manual steering box with no pump, so its WIDE open over there !!

I finally had time to work on it tonight, and got the new fuel pump and fuel line installed. I'll tell you what... that damn power steering pump made it a chore. I could only turn the top nut maybe 10 degrees at a time, turning the wrench over each time, just to get ahold of it. There isn't enough clearance to use a socket wrench.

I got the old one loosened up enough to tell there was pressure on the handle, so I turned over the motor until there was little pressure, which really helped with re-installing the new pump.

Runs like a champ! Of course they are calling for rain tomorrow...

Oh, and by the way, a golf tee worked great to plug up the fuel line coming from the tank. My pump was so bad, only about 10 drops o ffuel came out of the line to the carb when I got it disconnected. And when I took the old fuel pump off, pieces of diaphragm fell out of the thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put the #6 piston at TDC the fuel pump slips in and out with no pressure on the pump arm. real easy. I also had stainless steel line with AN fittings made up at the local speed shop and cost over $100 so be prepared.

Back