Full Center Console Mounting ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
How does the full center console mount? My car did not have it from the factory. I bought one and put it in a long time ago. I never did figure out how it was supposed to be mounted, there is nothing on the drive shaft tunnel that line up with the holes on the console that I can see.

I just basically had it sitting there, it really didn't move much, I thin be cause of the way it is mounted at the shifter. but it was obvious that it was not attached ii you bumped it deliberately.

I have the interior apart, and thought I might as well get it bolted in better when I put it back together.

Thanks

The screws actually go into the transmission tunnel, they are about 1-1/4" long self threading bit tip type. You have to be real careful not to snag the carpet.

The screws actually go into the transmission tunnel, they are about 1-1/4" long self threading bit tip type. You have to be real careful not to snag the carpet.
I wrapped a couple of layers of electric tape around the threads of the screws leaving just a couple threads exposed at the tip. Worked well against carpet snagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrapped a couple of layers of electric tape around the threads of the screws leaving just a couple threads exposed at the tip. Worked well against carpet snagging.
I bought a console that did not come with the car.

Drilling through the carpet is a big hassle, I like your

idea best.

Good Job!

mike

Once you mark the mounting holes on the carpet you can use a burning needle or even a soldering gun to burn through the carpet. All of this is hidden by the console and you don't have to worry about the carpet getting wrapped up in your drill or screw.

I use a leather punch to cut holes in the carpet, Heat the tip with a torch and it will cut a nice hole with edges that won't unravel. They are available in various sizes. You do have to measure and mark accurately. The console is easily damaged. I like to predrill pilot holes for anything of this nature to make installation as simple as possible. A dab of paint, wax or grease will help to keep rust from forming.

I was just going to post the same question. How do you mark the locations to drill, if you choose to not put the drill bit through the console holes ?

A little dab of white paint on the tip of whatever you put through the mounting holes should get you there (be careful not to get it on the console, obviously ;) ).

I had existing holes in my floor. I took a wire tester (the kind with the long pointy probe), and poked it through the underside of the transmission tunnel after I'd installed RAAMmat. Then from inside the car, I set the console down where I thought it was supposed to go, poked probe around until I found the holes, which lined everything up. So, the holes are there, and I did the same thing to find the holes again with the carpet in-place.

Be careful when installing the fasteners not to crank it down too tight - the plastic is old and might be brittle.

Yep. You are right about being careful when tightening the screws. Do this by hand only, no power tool. Those consoles like to crack if any pressure is put on it. Not that I would know from experience... :whistling:

Back