Fuse Panel Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I got tired of going back and forth through the wiring diagrams trying to figure out the wire codes for the various circuits coming out of the fuse panel, so made this up. If anybody finds any errors, please let me know.

Edit: Error in fuse 5, replaced drawing

Edit: Error in fuse 1, replaced drawing

Fuse Panel v4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got tired of going back and forth through the wiring diagrams trying to figure out the wire codes for the various circuits coming out of the fuse panel, so made this up. If anybody finds any errors, please let me know.

View attachment 48878

Great idea Don.   Will make life a lot easier when it comes to tracking or tying into circuits.

View attachment 48878
Just noted you need to edit #181 - it includes the heater.  If car has a/c than It uses a 30amp fuse.    

Thank You, I had just noticed it too.
Not for sure but I think the cigar lighter comes off of #1 according to the schematics.  My fuse block also shows the emergency flashers coming off of #1 also.  Do know for sure if this is right.  Here is a pic of my fuse block from 71 sportsroof.  Note the accessory fuse is missing one holder in the middle. 

20181217_153528.jpg 

Edit - Sorry but I can't get picture to rotate to top.  

The emergency flashers are fed through the 14 amp stop light circuit breaker.  The accessory feed just has a fuse in it when it also has the accessory buss extension, which also has the other clip. I believe they just came on cars with power windows and rear window heater. It's a convenient way to add more accessories when your fuse block doesn't have it. Midlife sells them.

Manufactured Products (midlifeharness.com)

For everyone's information, the description of the fuse circuits in Volume 3 of the 1971 Shop Manual on page 34-30-02 is not correct, it shows the cigar lighter on fuse #2 instead of #1. The wiring diagrams for '71 shows it correctly.

Kilgon, Thank you very much for taking the time to go through  the diagram.

I use 20 amp fuses for 1 and 6 and always a 30 amp fuse for 5.  #1 feeds the 4 way flasher and the cigarette lighter and horn.

The fuse block shows Emergency Flasher on fuse #1, but I can't find any connection from it to the flasher or switch in any of the wiring diagrams for '71, '72, or '73. Nor is it listed in the fuse descriptions. All 3 of the wiring diagrams show the emergency flasher getting power from the stop light circuit breaker.

I had this pm to me last night by 71fast. It seems to be correct with all the circuits and labels.  I like Don's because his wire coloring is easier to see at a quick glance.    71fast's diagram is more detail and has current flow arrows  which is a big help.  Both are great aids when working on the wiring of your car.   A big "Thanks" to both of you.

View attachment Fuse Block Wiring.pdf

The fuse block shows Emergency Flasher on fuse #1, but I can't find any connection from it to the flasher or switch in any of the wiring diagrams for '71, '72, or '73. Nor is it listed in the fuse descriptions. All 3 of the wiring diagrams show the emergency flasher getting power from the stop light circuit breaker.
You are absolutely correct.

I had this pm to me last night by 71fast. It seems to be correct with all the circuits and labels.  I like Don's because his wire coloring is easier to see at a quick glance.    71fast's diagram is more detail and has current flow arrows  which is a big help.  Both are great aids when working on the wiring of your car.   A big "Thanks" to both of you.

View attachment 48894
Thanks for sharing, one more thing to add to my collection of diagrams and manuals.  Can never have too much data and information. It's great having terabytes of storage. I remember when a 40 megabit hard drive was $500.

It is about 1/2 size in length, and yes, it is still available.  The Mustang catalog stores carry them.  I order them in batches of 100 from wholesale fuse distributors.  Check Amazon for Bussman or Littlefuse:

https://www.amazon.com/Cartridge-Fuses-Acting-Automotive-pieces/dp/B00LUELEY6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2O73HF27XZICX&dchild=1&keywords=4+amp+glass+fuse&qid=1614822523&refinements=p_89%3ACooper+Bussmann&rnid=2528832011&s=hi&sprefix=4+amp+glass%2Caps%2C224&sr=1-3

Thanks for the info! In looking at the fuseblock wiring, it looks like that the tach circuit, is unfused?? Power comes in on 16A and goes to the tach circuit on 16B. No fuse?

That is correct. Because the circuit to the ignition coil runs through the tachometer it is not fused. The only protection for it is in the fusible link under the hood.

That is correct. Because the circuit to the ignition coil runs through the tachometer it is not fused. The only protection for it is in the fusible link under the hood.
That fusible link is quite laughable in its purpose.  Suppose the car is on, and it blows due to excessive current.  Guess what?  On cars with ammeters, there's a direct connection from the alternator output to the main power line that bypasses the starter solenoid and fusible link, so if the problem is downstream, there's no protection left.  As best as I can tell, the fusible link is to protect the main power line should the battery short out, somewhat unlikely. 

Back