Fusible Link 20 Ga

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

street rod mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
I own a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, currently in the restoration process.
Embarassing, but I was tightening up the connections of the positive and negative battery cables to the battery, and when I was doing the positive one I accidentally touched the metal bar holding my battery in place. I tried starting the car after this and got nothing. I have no blown fuses underneath the dash, and I did some research and saw that I quite possibly could've blown my Fusible Link (mine says 20 Ga on the wire). I'm wondering if this is truly the case? If not let me know, and if it is please give me some tips on how to replace the wire. Thanks guys!!!

Because the fusible link is after the battery cable connection to the starter solenoid, it shouldn't be the fusible link.

Here is a similar problem. Almost every problem you can come up with has already been covered in this forum, and can be found by searching the forum.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-stupid?

Because the fusible link is after the battery cable connection to the starter solenoid, it shouldn't be the fusible link.

Here is a similar problem. Almost every problem you can come up with has already been covered in this forum, and can be found by searching the forum.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-stupid?
Thank you so much! Should've searched harder.. my bad. I'm going to replace the battery and the cables and see if that fixes the problem.

Midlife's First Rule of Battery Installation:

Always install the positive cable first, followed by the negative cable.

Why, you ask? with the negative cable disconnected, you can jumper the positive post of the battery to the fender/chassis all day long and nothing will happen. Once the positive cable is attached, working on the negative cable gives you the same result: any jumpering of that post to the chassis will result in nothing.

Before you replace the battery or cable, I would try the solution in that link, clean the terminals and posts.
The solution I found was to just replace the positive cable. The cable I had previously was already old and I figured 7 bucks for a replacement would be worth it. Car started right up and everything worked normally after that! Once I find time I'll replace the negative cable as well so it matches and because it was around the same age. Thanks for the link to that article and all your help though!

Back