Fusible Link Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande
While cleaning up some corrosion on my battery terminals I decided to remove the positive cable completely to make it easier to clean.

As I was reconnecting it and the other wires to the starter solenoid The terminal on one of the fusible links broke off.

I don't have a problem replacing it, I'm pretty good at soldering.

My question is where do I cut and solder? where the arrow is pointing in the attached picture or on the other side of the black thingy?

I'm guessing the black thing is where the wire and the link are connected but I want to make sure.

There is not much difference in the sizes, so I'll defer to folks who know more about this than I do.

Fusible link.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The fusible link needs to be 9 inches in length; you can splice your new piece anywhere so long as the entire length is about 9".  I'd avoid getting close to the OEM splice (the oval black thingy), so that if you need to replace it in the future, you have something to splice into.

Would it make more sense to just replace the terminal end instead of the whole link?

If I cut off the red part at the end I could solder on a new terminal. It would still be about 9 inches long.

Bad idea?

Mike  

Yes, you could.  I prefer butt-splicing; not sure if the fusible link strands can be soldered or not.  I've read it is simply copper wires wrapped in insulation that won't burn if shorted.

Back