Gap between A/C condenser and radiator, electric fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I see there is a large gap between my radiator and A/C condenser so I am trying to figure out what was normal. I have an aftermarket 4-row aluminum radiator that it still fits in the OEM brackets. So I don't think it is farther back. I also see that the lower brackets of the condenser have a bend that pushes the bottom of the condenser away from the radiator. With that the gap at the bottom is about 1/2" more than at the top. In all the gap is about 1" at the top and 1 1/2" at the bottom which seems high.

Also, is anyone using a push electric fan to be on when the A/C is on? The car is running hot when idling for a while and the A/C is on. I can have a electric fan to be activated by my EFI unit if I wanted so I am curious.

Edit: it is actually 1 1/4" at the top and 1 3/4" at the bottom

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a four row rad with stock mounting brackets and support. My condenser sits just inside the front of the rad support and tilt out towards the bottom. I can take some measurements for you, but I suspect mine is at least an inch at the top and more at the bottom.

I have a four row rad with stock mounting brackets and support. My condenser sits just inside the front of the rad support and tilt out towards the bottom. I can take some measurements for you, but I suspect mine is at least an inch at the top and more at the bottom.

Thanks. That's probably the way it came from factory. Nowadays the gap is more than 1/2". I was reading that if the gap is too much (>1/2") the airflow becomes turbulent which reduces the heat transfer efficiency of the radiator. I wonder why they have the outwards tilt at the bottom.

Interesting. I have not heard that before. I dont have any overheating issue but then I never use the AC in my car. With a vert in the northeast who needs it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That's probably the way it came from factory. Nowadays the gap is more than 1/2". I was reading that if the gap is too much (>1/2") the airflow becomes turbulent which reduces the heat transfer efficiency of the radiator. I wonder why they have the outwards tilt at the bottom.
I think I figured out the reason for the outward tilt at the bottom. It is kind of obvious :shootself:  . The radiator sits at an angle so the condenser follows the radiator tilt, which follows the tilt of the drivetrain. However, in my case, it looks like the condenser is at a steeper angle than the radiator.

on Mine there was a 2 inch wide black plastic filler piece that covered the gap. It was rotted to hell so I didnt put it back on. No issues yet, but I havnt run the AC because its dead at the moment.

Back