Gas Cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Gas Cap Open.JPGGas Cap.JPGBought a Scott Drake Mustang Gas Cap for my 1972. No matter what I do, the horse will not line up horizontally. I posted photo's of my gas cap and the filler tube opening for reference. I do not believe that I could have installed the filler neck any other way. Did they mess up at the Gas Cap factory or is there some way to rotate the horse so that it becomes horizontal???

I have NEVER had a good Scott Drake product. Never. My family keeps buying me Scott Drake door handle that don't fit or are the wrong type.

Buy from OMS.

I have NEVER had a good Scott Drake product. Never. My family keeps buying me Scott Drake door handle that don't fit or are the wrong type.

Buy from OMS.
Well then, thank God I've never ordered a Scott Drake product. I've always thought they were way over priced. Good info to know...

Not sure if these pictures will help, but I just went out to the garage and snapped a few of the gas cap opening and cap.

20121112_222712.jpg

20121112_222838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Buy from OMS.
Well then, thank God I've never ordered a Scott Drake product. I've always thought they were way over priced. Good info to know...

Not sure if these pictures will help, but I just went out to the garage and snapped a few of the gas cap opening and cap.

Thank you for the pictures, it look like my opening is the same as yours with everything in the correct place. I think that Scott Drake has the mustang in the wrong place so that when you turn the gas cap, it will not line up correctly. What do you think?

My '72 doesn't have that bailing wire on the gas cap, and as far as I know never did. My '65 did, but I cut it off because it was always jamming up when you went to put the cap back on. I have a Scott Drake on there now, and it didn't come with a bailing wire. Fits just fine, with the pony rightside up. I would contact them (with pictures) and see if they didn't somehow put a '65-'66 backing on a '72 cover. Check

All,

Is this the correct location to mount the stud for the gas cap wire? I am working on my new tail light panel and cannot find any documentation on the installation.

fnqmbc.jpg

mustang7173 :huh:

Bought a Scott Drake Mustang Gas Cap for my 1972. No matter what I do, the horse will not line up horizontally. I posted photo's of my gas cap and the filler tube opening for reference. I do not believe that I could have installed the filler neck any other way. Did they mess up at the Gas Cap factory or is there some way to rotate the horse so that it becomes horizontal???

From the looks of the orientation of the locking lugs to the cap it is correct. There should have been an alignment notch in the plastic emblem so it went in the correct way just like there is one for the large diameter metal plate on back going into the cast cap.

If you ordered a cap from for service it came with the attachment wire which I like you do not loose it or drop it. At the big mustang show in Dearborn this year a 429 CJ 71 coupe was missing the cap and I ask if someone stole it and he said no he drove off from gas pump with it on the trunk and lost it.

I would check inside your filler tube and see if there is anything that it would hang up on when installing. Also can you put like a piece of masking tape where the lugs are and mark as big and small and wrap around to the front so we can see how the horse is aligned. That will tell us if it is assembled wrong. Is there another car around you can try the cap on? I think about any mustang from 65 up has the same gas opening. I know the 72 parts car I bought had a really nice 66 cap on it and it lined up correct.

I have originals and Ford service and they all align I did just buy a Scott Drake never been out of the pack. I will go get it and see if it is same as yours.

I went and pulled the Scott Drake out and it looks exactly like yours as far as the back side. I just do not know the relationship to the horse on the face to the lugs. The lugs on this one pretty much run parallel to the horse so when the cap goes on it has to rotate over 90 degrees to lock in the right place. I will try it on an original car tomorrow and report back. I dropped my original and it cracked the plastic emblem right through the middle.

David

Ok got some time and went to my original 73 Mach 1 to get you some pics of the gas cap. I have one of the Scott Drake caps to go on my 72 but I could not put it on the 73 without taking the one on the car off due to the cable in the way. It looks like you are attaching the cable to the wrong screw hole, should be in the 5:00 not the 7:00 hole. I also took the 66 mustang cap that was on 72 parts car I bought and the attachment is the same. If you notice in the pictures the 66 and the 73 Ford caps have a fiber washer around the lugs. The Drake has a rubber one and much thicker and would tend to stick to the metal and not rotate.

I would put the cable in the right hole take some steel wool and clean the surface of your fill tube and put some Vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber gasket & fill tube to let it slide easier and try again.

Let us know how it turns out or turns on.

David

DSC_1996.JPG

DSC_1997.JPG

DSC_1998.JPG

DSC_1999.JPG

DSC_2000.JPG

DSC_2001.JPG

I have an extra one laying around OEM in good shape but no wire attachment. Let me know if your interested? 40.00

s-l1600.jpg

Send it back for a refund if at all possible..

Back