Gas Tank Help - Quick Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
-Former 70 & 72 Mustang coupes owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, dual plane high rise intake, long tube headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, mini-starter
-70 Mach 1, 351W, FMX
Gentlemen,

Does the flared end of the 71-73 FILLER NECK TO GAS TANK face out towards the rear of the car or in towards the tank?

The PO had it facing in towards the tank but they also had a ridiculous amount of silicon on it to seal it.

KR

f451_2.jpg

The flaired end faces out.

The filler neck flange is on the outside of the car. There is a cork gasket that goes between it and the tail lamp panel. The PO had it on wrong.

Gentlemen,

A sincere thanks. I had a feeling it was wrong and that was the reason the PO put all of the silicon sealant all over it.

KR

Apparently I should have ordered a new locking ring as well since my fuel sender unit leaks. I knew something was wrong when it didn't take an excessive amount of force to lock it in.

The Oring that came with my tank was faulty and leaked immediately. Fortunately i had ordered a couple extra. The seperate Orings fit fine and the leak stopped immediatly. I recal the seperate lock rings were better also. You still need to tap them with a hammer a bit but wasnt much.

The Oring that came with my tank was faulty and leaked immediately. Fortunately i had ordered a couple extra. The seperate Orings fit fine and the leak stopped immediatly. I recal the seperate lock rings were better also. You still need to tap them with a hammer a bit but wasnt much.
Roger that. I tried two O-Rings since I got a few extra from Don. The ring is just worn out but Don sent me some extras that just arrived tonight.

Back