Gas Tank Inside

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

Once again, I had to pull my fuel tank due to the mustang being working on. I could tell I needed to due to the smell of the gas. So, when I pulled out the fuel indicator with the brass float, and saw this

33dcgm1.jpg

2vmy26c.jpg

2w7ltmf.jpg

Inside Gas Tank

29foyuh.jpg

What in the world would cause this? Ethanol gas? This was a brand new Ni-Trene tank approx. 6 or 7 years ago. I have never seen this before!!

What do you think?

mustang7173 :-/

I believe it is the Ethanol in the gas. Ethanol will turn brass green. Not sure about the rest of the tank though. Good Luck with that, I found two gas stations in my town that sell non ethanol gas!

Hello Metallicblue68,

After doing researching, that is my conclusion there also. The bottom of the tank IMO, is the Ethanol residual effect also. There is an iPhone and Android application called Pure Gas. I am fortunate to have a location close by. I have been using the Pure Gas in my 1971 Mustang for awhile.

http://pure-gas.org/

Thank You for responding!

mustang7173

I am downloading that app now! That will come in very handy on a cruise!

Thanks

Hello Metallicblue68,

After doing researching, that is my conclusion there also. The bottom of the tank IMO, is the Ethanol residual effect also. There is an iPhone and Android application called Pure Gas. I am fortunate to have a location close by. I have been using the Pure Gas in my 1971 Mustang for awhile.

http://pure-gas.org/

Thank You for responding!

mustang7173

ah Ethanol. I love all the people that think we make up issues with Ethanol gas.

I watched it eat the fuel lines on my ford and my 1995 Mitsubishi.

on my ford it ate the Accelerator pump diaphragm, and the original power valve and the rubber fuel lines.

On my Mitsubishi it ate the fuel pump. I had a hell of a time finding a Ethanol rated pump for that car.

even then the manufacture would not guarantee it

on my 2005 Acura i had a recall in 2005 to address the issues that ethanol caused they had to change the fuel pump and a bunch of fuel line to make sure the car could support ethanol. my state then started to mandate ethanol all over the place, 2 months later the acura was back in the shop for fuel pump failure. i had like 5,000 miles on the OD. got the car at the tail end of 2004, 2005 state starts the ethanol BS, in the span of 4 months i have major problems with cars 40 years old, 15 years old and bran-new.

on the ford i had to keep getting fuel lines until the hose makers started to make ethanol safe rubber hoses, holley put out a retrofit kit with the green rubber for the diaphragm, and blue for the seals.

ethanol literally turned the hoses and seals to jelly and the fuel weeped all over the place

72HCODE,

Wow! Damn Ethanol! I will be definitely looking into changing out the steel 3/8 main fuel line to stainless steel. I will also look for the ethanol rubber gas lines. I am pondering the situation of replacing the gas tank with a new one or try to clean up my current one. It does not look bad inside other than being green.

Thank You for your response.

mustang7173

The sock filter doesnt look that good either. Looks like rust although the tank doesnt look rusty. Is it rusty above the gas line? Sta-bil makes a gas additive for ethanol gas as well as protecting above the gas line. Hopefully it works as advertised.

Did you use a fuel stabilizer in the gas? I've seen where when using E10 fuel it does more harm than good and the green color like yours is quite apparent.

E10 basically sucks water out of the air, so it rusts everything from the inside out.

oh another awesome thing about Ethanol, so you go to the pump and the label says 5%,10% or 15% depending on the local laws.

well the tanker trucks when they are at the depot for fill up basically fill up regular gas then the Ethanol is added from a separate tank.

this is so they can also mix summer and winter blends of gas. so there is no guarantee what the actual percentage of ethanol is or how much of it will mix with the rest of the fuel in the tanker. you could have a settled layer of like 30-40% ethanol that gets pumped into the gas station underground tank.

those stupid labels at the gas station are like averages of ethanol not real guaranteed percentages.

so it is possible back in 2005 when i had my issues that was when they were still experimenting with how much ethanol to mix in with deliveries of fuel to the gas stations. so i'm sure i basically filled up with acid instead of fuel at some point.

the other wonderful down side is reduced MPG from ethanol.

on the upside ethanol has a higher octane rating, but that is meaningless since they mandate 87,89 or 93 octane gas. so in theory ethanol would help reduce ping/knock.

you are paying more money for watered down gas basically.

at the same time it is a waste of money to go out of your way to get 101-130 octane fuel for a normal street car. you pay like 6-9$ a gallon and unless the car is tuned to use all that extra octane with advanced timing and a distributor curve you are basically doing nothing the car will not feel an different unless the car is running really lean on normal gas right now.(my car has a jerk of an engine that runs lean all the time, i still run on 93 street gas)

oh octane boosters are snake oil also.

when they tested those boosters with street gas they raised the octane 1-2 points not like 10-20 they claim on the bottle.

many of them also have dyes that will stain and contaminate spark plugs and can cause misfire.

i had a fun time with Stable fuel treatment some years ago.....

MeZapU,

Yes, I used the red Sta-bil-Fuel product. I believe the Sta-bil fuel additive to use is the marine version.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine

Thank You,

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

Did you use a fuel stabilizer in the gas? I've seen where when using E10 fuel it does more harm than good and the green color like yours is quite apparent.

All Forum Members,

I placed my gas tank under my lento next my shop to let it air out. I was pleasantly surprised at the results. There is a thin green residue that can be cleaned up with either Dawn Dishwater soap or Purple Power (4320P) Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser along with a pressure washer. Along with with this process, I have this plan in process.

1: Clean gas tank

2: Purchase New Scott Drake Stainless Steel 71-73 Fuel Sending Unit -- Purchased from CJ Pony Parts

3: New Stainless Steel 3/8 fuel Line from tank to front -- Maybe from Ohio Mustang Supply (I could not find on website ) or www.InlineTube.com or CJ Pony Parts

4: Gates 4219BG - Low-permeation fuel line including gasoline, ethanol blends, 100% methanol (no blends), diesel, biodiesel

(including all blends of SME, RME or PME). Not for in-tank or gaseous fuels

Found at

CARQUEST Premium Small ID Hose By Gates Barricade Fuel Hose - For all gasolines and diesel fuels, 50 psi - ID: 3/8" (9.5 mm), 2

Part Number: 27315

The Gates Barricade 4219BG is a little tough to locate.

I will provide updates as time goes on.

Thank You,

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
All Forum Members,

Purchased the Purple Power (4320P) Industrial Strength Cleaner and De-greaser and went to coined wash site and powered washed tank. Drained the water and placed a Wagner

Model # 0503008 HT1000 1200-Watt Heat Gun in the vapor hole on the top of the tank and plugged the fuel sending hole and let run for about 45 minutes. Tank heated up and evaporated the moisture. Reassembled with the New Scott Drake Stainless Steel 71-73 Fuel Sending Unit.

One thing I did do before installing the gas was to take some of my left over 3M™ Sound Deadening Pad 08840 and used it to replace the 9A068 Insulator- Fuel tank to Floor Pan -Improvise (FMC Master Catalog)

35cl72d.jpg

3m 08840

df94t3.jpg

Installed the Gates Barricade 3/8 fuel Line along with my cleaned up Carter P4600HP Rotary Vane Fuel Pump.

mustang7173

Back