Gatormc9's 1971 Vert Adventure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Currently: None

May be purchasing a 1971 302 Convertible

Previously:
1979 Cobra 4 Cyl Turbo, 1971 302 Sports Roof , 1993 LX 5.0
Time to kick off my 1971 Convertible restoration thread. After sitting in a garage for 15 years, it is comfortable in it's new stable, but I have a lot of work to do. I got the engine running, but there is a loud ticking coming from the passenger side. I've decided to leave the drive train alone for the time being and focus on the chassis and brakes first.

So far I have replaced the fuel pump to get the engine running, and today I replaced the convertible top switch. The top moves up and down fine, but the vinyl has a small tear and the material is pretty shot on the inside. I'll be saving that project for last because who needs a top in Florida!

Over the next two weeks I'll be installing the new LMM super suspension kit and replacing the drum brakes all around with a kit from CJ Pony parts, including a new master cylinder. I've also got a new fuel tank to replace the one that is leaking, and a new set of tires so I can get this car rolling soon.

I'm going to have a TON of questions over the next weeks/months/years, so I'm looking forward to being an active member here. Plenty of pictures to come starting tomorrow!

2013-11-30 14.47.27.jpg

welcome from latrobe, PA. I almost got a nice looking 72 red covertible 302 V8/AT/black interior over at the Daytona speedway @ car show in 200 but for the 20k sticker price too steep and had an intuition would get a better price w/the options at another timd-and did 6/2003 from North Hills/Pittsburgh. See my photo album ie 1st of 8 pages for pic of before and after restoration, that is before I decided to take it from stock and into resto-mod. See my profile for all of the changes into disc brakes/from q-code to r-code+efi....cpy cat/mike

Is there any reason this transmission wouldn't work as a temporary replacement while I rebuild the original C-4 (or have it rebuilt). I currently have a stock 1971 C-4 behind the original 302-2V, but the reason the car was originally parked (15 years ago) was that the trans was slipping.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/pts/4188506578.html

Not sure what flywheel I have, but I could always swap it over from the old one. This would just be to get me going until I can rebuild the original, or replace it with a C6.

Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride. I gotta tell ya ... I'm almost sick with envy seeing that auto lift in your garage

What part of FL are you in ? I'm in the Jacksonville area myself.

I cleaned the new tank with wax and grease remover and then painted it with VHT Clear Satin paint.

DSCN0157.JPG

I drained some really nasty gas out of the old tank and then dropped it down.

DSCN0165.JPG

I put in the new sending unit but I don't have a new return valve for the top.

DSCN0172.JPG

It looks pretty crusty, where can I find a new one and what is it really called?

Something else I found were these brackets on both sides of the rear. I read once that sometimes the dealer would forget to remove the shipping tie down brackets when they got the vehicle...is that what these are? Is so, should I remove them?

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride. I gotta tell ya ... I'm almost sick with envy seeing that auto lift in your garage

What part of FL are you in ? I'm in the Jacksonville area myself.
I'm actually in Melbourne (originally from Tampa), and I can't tell you how lucky I am to have that lift. It was in the house when I bought it, otherwise it would be very difficult to convince the wife that I REALLY needed to have one. :D

This car was originally owned by a professor at Jacksonville University, I'm the third owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice car...those are the original tie down brackets used for shipping the car. I think it makes the car a little unique as most were removed but is your choice.

Jeff

Something else I found were these brackets on both sides of the rear. I read once that sometimes the dealer would forget to remove the shipping tie down brackets when they got the vehicle...is that what these are? Is so, should I remove them?

My whole life I've pretty much only worked on cars when they were broken and needed to get back on the road so someone could make it to work the next day. Most of that was spent laying in the dirt or on a blanket helping my dad when I was a kid...so having a lift and plenty of time is a big enjoyable change for me.

Started tearing down the front suspension today. I didn't make as much progress today as I'd hoped. Stubborn bolts and a couple of parts runs slowed me down a bit. The strut arm bolt may have been the toughest bolt I've ever had to deal with...but I eventually won!

Painted the fuel tank straps.

DSCN0194.JPG

Took off the front right and left drum assemblies.

DSCN0195.JPG

DSCN0196.JPG

Got the spring and spindle out of the passenger side

DSCN0198.JPG

Old parts to be replaced.

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG

New parts for the near future

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0203.JPG

And finally, a shot of my messy garage and one soon to be sweet Stang!

DSCN0205.JPG

Just a few pics from today, lots of distractions. I was able to finish disassembling the front suspension. While prepping for a quick coat of paint on the passenger shock tower I found some pretty ugly rust. It's on the lower shock tower, inside the engine bay, toward the rear. It's on both sides, but it's worse on the driver's side. I'm thinking about leaving it until I take on the cowl in 6 - 18 months. I'll try to take better pictures of it tomorrow.

Driver's side wheel well. You can see the rust hole on the lower right "square" in the metal. It looks worse on the inside.

DSCN0207.JPG

DSCN0208.JPG

Passenger side wheel well after a wire wheel and a coat of paint. Rust is in the bottom left "square" on this side.

DSCN0209.JPG

My new parts washer that I bought today. :D

DSCN0211.JPG

Thanks! The ceilings are 11.5' according to the previous owner. I've never actually measured though.

Back