Gauge replacement question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shipwright

Reaction score
My Car
2008 Shelby GT500 Grabber Orange Convertible
Good day to all.

It's been many years since I last posted here but circumstances have necessitated my return. Recently my wife, Mach1 Mama, past away from Cancer leaving me her beloved '73 Q code Mach 1. Since she bought and re-built her baby (see Travails of the Trailer Queen) I've only driven the car 3 times in about 9 years, the last time was in 2013. After her passing I've done two short tips in the "Man Magnet" and discovered a few issues that need to be rectified, the first required the complete replacement of the wiring harness. I've decide to go with the kit sold by American Autowire. The second issue deals with the dash and console gauges, I'm seriously looking at Classic Instruments for replacement gauges. however I'm confused as they offer two sets that they claim will fit a '73 Mustang but they differ in dimensions. One set has 3 - 3/8" Tach and speedo and 2 - 1/8" oil, fuel, amp and temp gauges. The other set consists of 4 - 5/8" Tach and speedo and 2 - 5/8" oil, fuel, amp and temp gauges. Which set will be a direct, no modification fit? if neither of them will fit can someone direct me to where I can find direct replacement analogue style gauges that will.

+ 1 for Midlife to do your old harness but if yours completely gone then the AAW Classic replacement harness is a good second choice albeit expensive

i'm in the midst of installing their Highway 22 kit as mine RHD and so far a good quality kit with clear instructions plus email support excellent

Original centre gauges should be 2 1/8" but not sure of tach size

If you're looking for something more modern then the Dakota gauges look like a good choice as per EdM or perhaps contact Classic Instruments for more info

Oh and sorry to hear of your wife's passing, my wife had cancer but fortunately still around and hopefully will get to ride in my Mustang when finally finished

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 for Midlife to do your old harness but if yours completely gone then the AAW Classic replacement harness is a good second choice albeit expensive

i'm in the midst of installing their Highway 22 kit as mine RHD and so far a good quality kit with clear instructions plus email support excellent

Original centre gauges should be 2 1/8" but not sure of tach size

If you're looking for something more modern then the Dakota gauges look like a good choice as per EdM or perhaps contact Classic Instruments for more info

Oh and sorry to hear of your wife's passing, my wife had cancer but fortunately still around and hopefully will get to ride in my Mustang when finally finished
Cost isn't an issue, time is (I know that sounds strange). I know that Midlife does an awesome job from what I've read here, I just don't want to lay the car up while I have the old harness ripped out, sent across the border to the US, repaired, returned to Canada and installed on the Mach1. I'd just as soon just get a new complete kit for quick installation. Thank you very much for your words of support, it's been 7 months since her passing and I'm dealing with her loss one day at a time.

Anyone know the dimensions of the Tach/Speedo?

May I suggest you contact Rocketmans Classic Cougar Innovations about your gauges? He's a first class guy and can rebuild your factory gauges, or possibly sell you ones already repaired.

Steve

I was looking at these  gauges. the problem is that it makes the console gauges useless and I'm trying to keep the car as stock looking as possible using OEM style and size gauges. I'm not interested in modifying/creating new brackets to fit aftermarket gauges.
Understood. This what I am doing. Parts are here and they look great.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2743

I was looking at these  gauges. the problem is that it makes the console gauges useless and I'm trying to keep the car as stock looking as possible using OEM style and size gauges. I'm not interested in modifying/creating new brackets to fit aftermarket gauges.
Understood. This what I am doing. Parts are here and they look great.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2743
Looks nice. If I get desperate I may go that way. I'm currently in contact with Dakota Digital about a custom set-up using the digital VFD3-71M-CNT carcass but installing/manufacturing analog gauges similar to their VHX style gauges. The cost will be eye watering, particularly with todays currency exchange rate but I want what I want and there aren't many options out there that don't require a lot of modification on my part.

May I suggest you contact Rocketmans Classic Cougar Innovations about your gauges? He's a first class guy and can rebuild your factory gauges, or possibly sell you ones already repaired.

Steve
Thanks for the heads up. Ill be sending him an e-mail shortly.

If you did not get the dimensions you need I will take some pictures later today. I have several gauge cars.

I was not aware that anyone made a real workable replacement wire harness. Each car is unique to what options came on it and if you go with a generic it will probably be a pain. It took me months to find a good one for my vert 73 with gauges, auto, air, convenience group, console, AM/FM, 351. If there is such a thing as a replacement that works with all the connections I would love to know about it.

Let me know if you need any measurements.

David

If you did not get the dimensions you need I will take some pictures later today. I have several gauge cars.

I was not aware that anyone made a real workable replacement wire harness. Each car is unique to what options came on it and if you go with a generic it will probably be a pain. It took me months to find a good one for my vert 73 with gauges, auto, air, convenience group, console, AM/FM, 351. If there is such a thing as a replacement that works with all the connections I would love to know about it.

Let me know if you need any measurements.

David
Available as of June of 2017. It's pricy but it's the only one available. I ordered a set from one of their Canadian distributors.

https://www.americanautowire.com/view-product/1971-73-ford-mustang-classic-update-kit-2/

Can you confirm the tach/speedo diameter as well as the fuel, volt, temp and oil gauges.

Always amazed at websites offering expensive items like this harness with 1 single low res pict...
I can beat that!  My offerings are at a lower price with no pictures!

Always amazed at websites offering expensive items like this harness with 1 single low res pict...
I can beat that!  My offerings are at a lower price with no pictures!
for cheap stuff, its sometimes better not to show, I agree 
lollerz.gif

Back