getting rust off chrome Tip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finest grade steel wool you can get. I use #0000 steel wool on chrome, stainless and glass. #0000 is the finest grade I can get locally. #000000 is better if you can find it. I also use it on aluminum wheels that are trashed to get rid of water spots, followed by polishing.

Take a piece of aluminum foil,crumple it up and clean away. It does not scratch and does a great job of cleaning the rust.

Follow it with a chrome polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
good one! here's a tougherone : how about getting rust off the side view mirrors? a few spots have come through on mine, and it doesn't look like just the mirrorglass is replaceable. i'll try this trick and see if it works.

If you have lemon juice, try that first. Zud (similar to Ajax or Comet cleanser and sold near them in the grocery store) is great if you aren't worried about scratching OR you can get liquid rust remover at the fabric store. Good luck!

Once rust begins on chrome, you'll never stop it from coming back in the future except by re-chroming it.

Back