Getting the engine out of the car...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken my engine out twice using the eye bracket connected to the exhaust manifolds and with the toploader still connected. I don't have headers to worry about, but I wish I'd bought a load leveler. If you do it this way, make sure the chains don't damage the valve cover if still on. Just make sure EVERYTHING is out the way. I even went as far as removing the front bumper as the hoist I borrowed was only a 1 ton and really too small for the job.

Also use a plug on the tailstock and TAPE IT IN!! ask me why?? if you're going  to pull it all at once.
Great information Stanglover, thank you.

My hoist is a 2 ton and the front bumper is already removed so no problems... :whistling:
 Awesome!! You're on your way.

Putting it back in in one piece is also the way to go, but I've not done it with headers. Others might know if that is doable. as I said, I didn't have a load leveler (next time!!) but I used a very low 1.5 ton floor jack under the tailstock and had someone lift that while I lowered the engine, sort of a dance really. Took only about an hour total, in and bolted up plus other stuff done.

Geoff

Putting it back in in one piece is also the way to go, but I've not done it with headers. Others might know if that is doable. as I said, I didn't have a load leveler (next time!!) but I used a very low 1.5 ton floor jack under the tailstock and had someone lift that while I lowered the engine, sort of a dance really. Took only about an hour total, in and bolted up plus other stuff done.

Geoff
 Great job...May be one day for me :-/

While searching, found a nice place here where I will be able buy what I need (and much more)

For the dutchies/benelux, bookmark that one!

https://www.vocor.nl
Nice website you find. Unfortunately not translated in English or french.

Very good products as RUSTYCO or OWATROL RUSTOL CIP.

Primer Epoxy is not expensive too...

Sometime ago I did the math on using the intake manifold adapter on both iron and aluminum manifolds, and there is plenty of strength to lift an engine, providing the bolts or studs have enough thread engagement.

The problem with using one is it makes it very difficult to tilt the engine when being installed by one person.

A load leveler attached to 4 corners of the engine makes it very easy to pull or replace the engine with or without transmission. It took me less than an hour to remove my 351C and C6 transmission, working by myself, but this wasn't my first time. I've used overhead 4-leg hoists, hoist attached to the building, tripods, and the Harbor Freight engine crane I've had for 20 years. The engine crane is my preference. I was watching one of the car shows the other day and they had an overhead hoist with electric winch with a cable. Every time they raised or lowered the engine it would bounce up or down 2 or3 inches, the winch was one speed, no easing the engine into position.

My transmission has a drain plug so that helped a lot, no worries about transmission fluid running all over the floor, and no having to drop the pan to drain it.

Just because I'm curious, any idea of the weight of a 351C?

A load leveler attached to 4 corners of the engine makes it very easy to pull or replace the engine
Can you tell me what  you call the 4 corners of the engine? Where are the 4 attach points?

My load leveler is equiped with 4 lift chains so i'm interested to know?

Thanks!

A load leveler attached to 4 corners of the engine makes it very easy to pull or replace the engine
Can you tell me what  you call the 4 corners of the engine? Where are the 4 attach points?

My load leveler is equiped with 4 lift chains so i'm interested to know?

Thanks!
Use the accessory bolt holes in the heads.

When talking about the outer intake bolt, are you talking about that:

And the accessory bolt holes is that for example:

Sorry for these noob questions but i must not make a mistake. I don't imagine the cost to order an engine in the USA…

Thank you again for your help!

That's the way, get them started early, get some grease in their bodies at an early age, might make them keep an interest in working on cars. Although, didn't work that well with my two sons, they'll do some work on their cars, but not that much. Oldest one would like to have my Mustang, though, but because of his service related disability he can't work on it much.

Back