Global West Update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
As most of you know I went with the Global West +caster front suspension kit, upper/lower control arms, strut arms, coil springs, and an off name set of roller spring perches. I can honestly say I am VERY pleased with the whole set-up. I also have the del-a-lum bushings in the rear springs, and Addco front and rear sway bars.

The ride quality of the car overall is not bad, you can tell it's stiffer, but not bone jarring!! (also have KYB gas adjust shocks). Everything in the front suspension seems to move freely, and steering return is great. It seems the faster I go the more stable the steering gets. The solid strut arms do not seem to transfer much road shock, and cornering is unbelievable!! I did have the steering box rebuilt for the "quick ratio" steering and that seems to make a big difference as well. Coming in to a corner I do not have any slop to fight and it holds real tight all the way through. I have not found it's traction breaking point yet, I'm kind of scared to push it that hard but I can honestly say it's a champ through corners.

Also no funny noises, the front end does sit lower, but I expected that as the springs were supposed to be 1" drop. It is hard to get a jack under the front end. All in all I feel the money is worth it just in case anybody is wondering. I give the system 9 out of ten stars. The only reason I won't give it 10 is because I did have issues installing the upper control arms. The template that came with the kit did not put the UCA's in a working position in my car, I had to raise it a 1/2". And also my mechanic claims he cannot install the alignment locks, per the alignment specs given with the system. Not sure that's GW's fault though!!

If anybody has any other questions about the system feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability!! Cheers!!::thumb::

Omie01,

The one question that I have always wanted to know, was the installed solid mount strut rods. How do they feel, the ride and how much road noise did they transfer. I remember installing some stiff type bushings in the struts and the dash would shimmy when you rode over not such good surfaces.

Thanks for the update.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have NO rubber bushings anywhere in my front suspension now, its all poly, or delrin, I can't say its as smooth as rubber, but I am surprised how easy on the sensibilities the car is. I don't feel any "road shock", even under extreme braking, but going over potholes you do notice them. I do have the 5 leaf springs in the rear of my car too so that might be some of it too, but Honestly I can live with it!! But, be mindful, I did take a lot of time to tighten up my dash, windows, door panels etc. At the end of the day I think the solid strut rods are a good upgrade "performance" wise. Last year I had all new "stock" front suspension and that was nice also, so if your just going to build a street cruiser I don't know if the upgrade is worth the price. Just my 2 cents. I might on a future build just "box in" the original components and give that a try to see if stiffening the original upper and lower arms offers a good compromise. Thanks!!

Omie01,

There was a video, I believe on this forum that showed the lower control arm in action and you can see how the arm flexes under load. It was a "Wow" moment. I believe that the rollerized type bushings are the way to go. It lets the suspension "Flow" with out binding as the old technology of yesteryear. The Opentracker Racing products has the DIY Kits for the possible future build that you mentioned.

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/diy-roller-lower-control-arm-kit-bracing/

This one possible budget solution available. I wish I could find that video.

Cool Deal- Thank You!

mustang7173

The video is on S&T's website on the page for their strut rods. Not to hijack the thread with a different vendor's information...

I've used GW products for over 10'years. Never an issue and was very pleased with the results.

Wow, that looks scary. Thanks for posting.

Back