Glovebox wiring questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
glovebox wiring1.jpg

The un-connected wires are used for what?

The connected wires and associated connections are what?
I'm guessing one is door buzzer but the other two.

Behind the dash, is a similar situation, wires to nowhere, and there is a trace bit of evidence that what is currently in the car wasn't what the car was delivered with. Meaning there was more and why I keep believing the car was stripped of a good many things. I'm being told or have been told that was the case but anyone can tell anyone anything.

Second go round with sorting things out in the dash but this time I'm taking on more the internals. Frist effort was to replace the trip and cluster with new parts.

Given the challenge of vertigo yesterday, thought I'd take a more straight forward and upright approach (physically speaking) to working on the car. Dang ear crystals!

Never seen the red and yellow wires AND that connector type in a 72. The pink 6 pin (4 pins used) in the upper left corner is for the optional convenience harness.

Were the red and yellow in the '71? Actually, looks greener in person. My original guess was glovebox light. That or passenger seatbelt light connection, it does match. Seatbelt light didn't appear until after Dec '71 but I have a seatbelt light mounted. Does it make a difference that VIN production date is 20 September 1971? Car sold as a '72 but those dates could get awful fuzzy back then. :unsure:

(edit) How's the Hip doing Midlife? Lotta friends have had those done. They seem like new people in quick time!

Last edited:
Maybe a long shot, but a year ago, I got a request from Ken (71Fast) had me take a pic of my 73. It has this emission device located above the glovebox. Here is the pic:

1674666625466.jpeg

I don’t know if it helps, but it has a red and not sure other color wire.

Steve, what area did you get that image from? I see a vent duct so trying to locate if the '72 has that?

Determined a couple things and found another set of wires and connector. Similar as the first clipped to the first mounted relay. That's the key in ignition warning buzzer. The second relay mounted to the bracket is the seatbelt warning light relay. The third relay and the smallest eludes me and has no part numbers stamped on it like the others.

here is a pic of the wires and connector just mentioned. The wires are different colors than that of the key warning buzzer.
glovebox1.jpg
Going to remove the other relay from the metal bracket just to investigate further. I'm concerned over how deep I get into things since the car needs to be up and running next week. Understanding the caveat that as we tear things apart and get deeper into projects like this (electrical) the possibility of finding something you necessarily didn't wish to uncover gets well?, uncovered.

Any help, tour map, guidance or additional caveat from the more seasoned 7173 members is very welcomed. This all started as an upgrade for lighting and it truned up the heater controls wire as frayed and needed repair. I'm also trying to reattach the map light. The hole was black in ours since the seller flat out said it had one but iy fried, literally, but can't find the connector. Probably because the convenience connector is empty. We did find the consol connector but it is swollen and might be fried. He removed that one too.

While '72 is only 6 years from '66, the differences between the F100 and Mustangs of those years was far less complicated, especially since this car comes from California and Emissions were into full swing out there. My point is I'm years removed from experience with the earlier year cars and lack the knowledge of the '72.

I think Ken, 71Fast probably knows. I haven’t found anyone more knowledgeable about the unique wiring of each of the model years.

My car, a 73, also was a CA car, having some unique emission stuff, per Ken. So, I suspect he can held. I’ve PM him on this. Steve

edit: oh yea, about the glovebox cardboard insert.

Last edited:
I hope these photos/files help you figure out what is goin on. These cover the "Relay Bar" above the glove box on our 1973 Mustang. I gathered info from several sources when identifying what wires/connectors go where.

Attachments

• ___1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelAboveGloveBox_20210705.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelComponent_Photo_20210705.jpg
    1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelComponent_Photo_20210705.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelComponents-Identified_20210706.mp4
    26.1 MB
  • 1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelComponents-Identified_Photo_20210705.jpg
    1971-1973Mustang_RelayPanelComponents-Identified_Photo_20210705.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1973Mustang_RelayBarCircuitsAndConnectors_20220425.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • MatthewBarela_C702-C702_Circuit_1973Mustang_20200929.pdf
    12.7 MB · Views: 1
Mrgmhale: there are substantial differences between each year (71-73) of the relay connectors and wiring. What is correct for 73 is not necessarily correct for the OP's 72.

Midlife, that is correct but I believe I'm working with a greater handicap than just the years. Whomever it was, kinda the blame game in that when I ask the seller we purchased from, it was the seller he purchased from that removed everything in the car. After digging further into things yesterday, gee those words just hurt saying them, the car is at bess at mest. Schnikees!
We have the wiring for the seat buzzer but the seats disappeared long ago, when I don't know. The interior was white and some jackwagon along the way thought it would be better to part it out because of it's rarity, of course for the money. Painted or covered everything in black felt. Plus, everything went wiring wise and whatever I thought was there has been removed and taped up all nice and tight. The remnants I thought I found and was part of more, the pink accessories connector, is about it for the next purpose. The map light. which I now have again, courtesy of 72MustangSprint.
I also have an engine compartment harness from him and something that could come in very handy later. Yet, it all started with a swap with my Pertronix II billet disty for his front support bracket for the Mach1 grille and some other things. BTW, Thank you again. and gotta give cred where it's due.
At this point, I have a huge mess on my hands because as I was bleeding the convertible top plumbing, the dang switch, a little over a year old, is now toast! New one is on order. But the short sent a shockwave through my shorts and probably need a check. LOL
Anyhow, the hopes of installing the factory tach went up in flames, literally and while in transit when the parts I found are now missing in the vast open country or better said, gone.
For now, If I can get the map light working, the seatbelt light for the passenger side and make sure the console connection that's peeking through the bottom of the dash, as well as the wiring for the convertible top, I'm gonna be a happy camper. Was able to salvage the connectors, especially the one for the switch. It's held together with a zip-tie and a prayer.
Oh yeah, broke the heater cable, well, it was broke and the fix was 3 brad nails and some epoxy from somewhere in the past but now it's unusable. New one coming from KY. Mustang Busy couple days, ya think?

The wire colors will give you clues to their usage. The Ford diagrams had a chart with all the wire colors and markings, then broke it down to the circuit and what they're used for. The wire in the pic looks to be Red w/Orange hash marks. That's part of the blower motor circuit. If the hash mark is Yellow, then it's power feed for whatever emissions controls it was originally equipped with. I can't make out any markings on the Light Green wire, so a better pic would help there.

To back up what Midlife said, I cannot find a connector on the 72 diagram with those two wire colors together. My diagram book has a printing date of 7/71, so it's possible there was a revision and amended pages were sent to dealers at some point afterwards. For '72, Ford really simplified their wiring harnesses down to two part numbers at the start of production, instead of the the total $hitshow that they had for '71. The page below is from the MPC, and there are six more '71 part numbers on the preceding page.

72 dash harness.jpg

Since I do have the connectors, a "questment" (part question, part statement) to ya'll is? I was told, when I was working in gas stations to pay for my high school speed problem, (horsepower not the pills although it was the seventies so there was plenty of it all to go around) the wiring of the car was unique to the car options as ordered and or delivered. Round two working at a gas station in 1980-81 (fuel prices and availability once again hurt the horsepower need Jones) told they started to use a one size fits all but by that time I was happy just to do towing, tires and be a pump jockey given the disposition of the owner, gawd a real Richard Edward. But with what you just explained, Hemikiller, was '72 the year? Or am I just totally cornfused over this whole mishmash of things, especially in my car. I'm on the verge of just dropping the money for the American Auto wire unless someone is able to pull me back from the edge. I was hoping to see what midlife had available but there was a post I saw where he was taking it really easy until March, or am I mistaken. Just waiting on parts to arrive so I can get use of the car again. This is the current condition and right before a decent forecast for tomorrow too!

guts everywhere2.jpg

Midlife is taking a break until mid-March from his post on his ads.

Ford used only two dash harness assemblies at the start of '72, one for tach & gauges cars, one for those without. When the active seat belt warning system came into production in Jan 71, the harnesses were changed to accommodate, as shown on the parts listing. Your car shouldn't have the passenger side light with it's Sept 71 build date.

Did you get a Marti Report?

Unfortunately I keep putting it off. Isn't there also one to see what may have been added by dealerships too? Battling things on 9 fronts now so maybe for a break, I'll visit them now. Thanks. Odd thing is, the build date is clearly Sept. '71 in the VIN on both the door and Buck tags and we do have a light connector and also the light. You can see the holder in the picture. The light itself is being repaired because I cracked the brittle plastic whilst extracting it.

mrgmhale, I greatly appreciate the schematics, lists and everything else. BTW and slightly OT, just noticed you're in Pittsford. Lived in Geneseo of a couple years from 1998-2001. The unfortunate thing is either I've become completely inept at reading things, or I just can't see as well. Going with the latter so, the questions keep mounting. It is a bit difficult to read some of your attachments' because they get fuzzy when made as large to see.

Can anyone help with this plug and what it belongs to? It's another phantom plug to nowhere and I'd like to get it hooked up to what it belongs to and if it's still available. There are plugs shown in the schematics, but the double tapped wire for me is on the outside terminal, not the inside. As far as I can tell, it's Gr-Y, Blu-R and Blk. Black is covered knowing that's the ground. I'm also concerned about it being swollen like it is, experience tells me it's shorted out, seriously corroded or both.

Edit; Okay, after staring at it for 10 more minutes, I've id'd the light blue w/red stripe is 19 instrument panel lamps feed given the identical one is in the heater controls, the light green w/yellow stripe is 54 interior lamp switch feed. I swore this is the map light connection, but the posted schematics show this in the center slot not the side.

Thanks in advance!

center dash1.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a long shot, but a year ago, I got a request from Ken (71Fast) had me take a pic of my 73. It has this emission device located above the glovebox. Here is the pic:

View attachment 72403

I don’t know if it helps, but it has a red and not sure other color wire.
I have a similar box, it's spark control moulded into mine. Maybe I should disconnect it since I have the Pertronix? Or is it just sitting there looking OE.

spark control1.jpg

I believe it is the clock
the clock as in console and clock or cluster clock. The way it's mounted in the harness, it's a seriously long stretch to the cluster. slit open the plug, it's just been overheated from the looks of things. No burnt wires and I figured since I have 3M 130c rubber splicing tape I can seal it back up. My only goal, while I have everything apart for the top switch and cluster repairs is to get the map light working. There is power to that plug, but the map light switch must have had too much corrosion so can't get it to work. Creative wiring is the next step so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the answer to the disconnect question is, are you using the stock wiring under the hood for the updated Pertronix system? I know that box using a speed sensor, and temp sensor to activate/deactivate the EGR valve. If you’ve removed the stock EGR system, it’s probably not an issue. It doesn’t seem to be involved in the actual timing or spark of the system. Here’s the diagram I’m referencing to:

B3409DE1-3D48-4FBB-9D74-19B8E7B9E42C.png

Steve,
Thank you.
I haven't spent much time under the hood other than pulling the AC compressor since the system was shot, a new PB mater cylinder/booster set and adding the Pertronix. Everything that was plugged in vacuum wise when we bought the car is still there. When I add the 4v heads and natural aspiration components, things will just be left where they are. No idea what Virginia has planned with internal combustion engines and I'm not going to say what I'm thinking so's not to provide any ideas.

I think the answer to the disconnect question is, are you using the stock wiring under the hood for the updated Pertronix system? I know that box using a speed sensor, and temp sensor to activate/deactivate the EGR valve. If you’ve removed the stock EGR system, it’s probably not an issue. It doesn’t seem to be involved in the actual timing or spark of the system. Here’s the diagram I’m referencing to:

View attachment 72567

View attachment 72567
Hi Steve,
I think the 72 and 73 are different.
I can't figure out how to post a pdf but I can attach a pdf. duh
I sent this to California 72 but maybe his email is off.
71fast

Attachments

• California 72 .2.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
Back