Goals for the car???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pure rage sounds good.

But my goal is to get back on the road after 1.5 years of sitting job change and moving take up time. Bonus in February will get me back in the game. Also larger wheels shocks and sway bars to come

My goal is to be a really nice daily driver if we ever move south where it doesn't snow. Eventually I'll do a mild build on the big block and swap in an AOD with a smaller rear end setup. I'd be happy with high teens MPG (highway) but wouldn't low twenties be cool? Occasional car show maybe but I don't care about trophies. In fact, I'm in the process of reassembling it even though the interior panels aren't done; I figure that I can break all the interior parts up into little projects this coming spring/summer so I can still enjoy the car, even if some of the panels look like crap.

I want my 69 to be a weekend driver and occasionally weekday driver. To have enough get up and go to out do lots of those ricer cars out there but still be a smooth ride. Hope I am on the right track

But my goal is to get back on the road after 1.5 years of sitting job change and moving take up time. Bonus in February will get me back in the game. Also larger wheels shocks and sway bars to come
I hear you. Took a huge hit when moving 4 years ago and still trying to pay off the debt on that one :-/. Oh well, such is life, right?

I added the twist locks and stripes to mine! Changes the look of the car.
Yeah my red twin 4-speed car came with factory stripes & no bright lower trim. Both have factory ram air so blacked out hood & twist locks. But the stripe changes the look of the car dramatically. I like them both but I like the clean lines look slightly better.

Mine was built in March of 71. It's just a H code FMX a/c ps pdb black Mach 1 sports interior and center gauges clock speedo... It's funny my 72 Mach 1 has 351 2V and RAM AIR but no twist locks.
Just an H code? So what, these cars are great with any engine configuration. Yours sounds great with those options. Do you know if your 72 came from the factory without the twist locks? Any evidence on the front of the radiator support that shows where the brackets used to be attached? That's very odd for it to not have twist locks if a factory ram air car.
I don't see any evidence the 72 has been crashed. I pulled the front valiance off and sent it to Scott. I don't think it was ever off the car. I asked the guy I bought it from was it a original RAM AIR car and he said yes. He got it in 1977 when he was 17. He showed me pics when he got it. It was grabber blue with argent "C" stripe,hood stripe and white half vinyl top. No lower trim. The car has white Mach 1 sports interior a/c tech center gauges full console fold down seat 351C 2V C6 3.25 T Loc 15" Magnums. My wife thinks I should be restoring it not the 71. I wonder if the twist locks became an option in 72 when the RAM AIR 4V was dropped.

1971 Mustang Mach 1 M-Code C6

- Restomod

- Weekend driver, a bit of autocrossing, maybe a quarter run or two ;)

- Suspension first, then power

Rich

Keep and enjoy my car for long as i can or live....Make nice as possible when i can...And drive around as much as the weather lets me and gas prices.....Even take it down the drag strip a few times...Wont ever be too hard on the old girl thou..Keep her going long as i can and able.

My goal was a "best of all worlds" car. performance looks but not too many mods on the body, great handling but not too hard to be comfortable, good engine performance but still smooth idle and high mpgs, good sound but still at a noise level that allows for long trips without ear plugs.

Basically a comfortable high performance cruiser that looks both classic and modern with a killer sound... kinda... :)

I don't see any evidence the 72 has been crashed. I pulled the front valiance off and sent it to Scott. I don't think it was ever off the car. I asked the guy I bought it from was it a original RAM AIR car and he said yes. He got it in 1977 when he was 17. He showed me pics when he got it. It was grabber blue with argent "C" stripe,hood stripe and white half vinyl top. No lower trim. The car has white Mach 1 sports interior a/c tech center gauges full console fold down seat 351C 2V C6 3.25 T Loc 15" Magnums. My wife thinks I should be restoring it not the 71. I wonder if the twist locks became an option in 72 when the RAM AIR 4V was dropped.
Gotta wonder if the hood was replaced and the Ram Air plenum swapped on to the new hood. Mine is a 'H-Code' and it has the twist locks on the factory Ram-Air hood. No hockey stripes and lower bright molding as well, as Don explained - but it did have a trunk stripe along with the hood stripe and '351 RAM AIR' decals.

The car in my signature pic (from Mustang Monthly) has the hood stripe, but no locks (or Ram Air). It also didn't have hockey stripes in the original picture from the article - http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1005_1971_ford_mustang_mach_1/

Gotta wonder if the hood was replaced and the Ram Air plenum swapped on to the new hood. Mine is a 'H-Code' and it has the twist locks on the factory Ram-Air hood. No hockey stripes and lower bright molding as well, as Don explained - but it did have a trunk stripe along with the hood stripe and '351 RAM AIR' decals.

The car in my signature pic (from Mustang Monthly) has the hood stripe, but no locks (or Ram Air). It also didn't have hockey stripes in the original picture from the article - http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1005_1971_ford_mustang_mach_1/
All Mach 1s had the trunk stripe. The 72 is at my brothers house I don't recall seeing any Grabber blue on it??

All Mach 1s had the trunk stripe. The 72 is at my brothers house I don't recall seeing any Grabber blue on it??
Fair enough - kinda figured. But for some reason, I thought that the trunk stripe might've been part of the 'stripe group' or something. It's also apparent to me that the front fenders on mine had been replaced maybe, since the bright chrome pieces are missing on both fenders (but are/were present on the doors and quarter panels).

My goal was a "best of all worlds" car. performance looks but not too many mods on the body, great handling but not too hard to be comfortable, good engine performance but still smooth idle and high mpgs, good sound but still at a noise level that allows for long trips without ear plugs.

Basically a comfortable high performance cruiser that looks both classic and modern with a killer sound... kinda... :)
X2 Mike!

I'm starting to plan a new engine... 5.0 Explorer engine stroked to 331, EFI, lumpy roller cam, serpentine drive, modern A/C, it should make the same or better power than my cleveland and knock down low to mid 20s MPG.

I'm still debating on color combinations for paint and interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal is to have a super nice looking and sounding ride that will monkey stomp the majority of local alleged hot rods and "tuners". I want the exterior beautiful, interior beautiful (two tone in hand and ready to instal). I also want the mechanical perfect and suspension new. (accomplished). Oh, I also want a real nice stereo. :D

Back