going from a C6 to an AOD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71steed

Reaction score
My Car
66 GT coupe
67 GTA convertible
69 Fastback, Boss 429 clone
69 GT coupe
71 Sports coupe
71 Mach 1
73 Mach 1
I'm finishing a project for a friend. His C6 is toast. I have an AOD that needs rebuilding. Any problems putting in an AOD? We are using stock exhaust manifolds. Thanks in advance

There are plenty of guys here who've replaced C4s, FMXs, C6s with AODs, 4R70Ws, and others. I've done the FMX/AOD swap myself, although I went with a completely new exhaust set-up (long-tube headers and 2.5" X-pipe exhaust).

Using stock manifolds and exhaust should not pose much (if any) of a problem swapping in an AOD. Make sure to get the TV cable set-up properly. Mine came from an '89 5.0 GT, along with everything Automatic transmission-related, except the TV/Throttle cable bracket (still in use) and speedometer cable (again, still in use), so I didn't have to go through all of that (just used the stuff that came with it, and made one bracket for the TV cable at the carb).

There are plenty of guys here who've replaced C4s, FMXs, C6s with AODs, 4R70Ws, and others. I've done the FMX/AOD swap myself, although I went with a completely new exhaust set-up (long-tube headers and 2.5" X-pipe exhaust).

Using stock manifolds and exhaust should not pose much (if any) of a problem swapping in an AOD. Make sure to get the TV cable set-up properly. Mine came from an '89 5.0 GT, along with everything Automatic transmission-related, except the TV/Throttle cable bracket (still in use) and speedometer cable (again, still in use), so I didn't have to go through all of that (just used the stuff that came with it, and made one bracket for the TV cable at the carb).
Thanks for the info. If I have only the transmission, what other parts do we need to round up?

Well, like I said in the PM:

Kinda taking a WAG at this, only because mine came with pretty much everything I needed, but... these guys might be able to help (if nothing more than for reference): http://www.transmissioncenter.org/classic_mustang_to_aod_conversion.htm?gclid=CO-pquDmxawCFZJS7AodbRR7rQ

At the very least, you'll need:

• Cross member
  • AOD torque converter & bolts
  • 28 oz. balanced flex plate
  • TV cable
  • Shifter adapter (if you decide to use the original shifter)
  • AOD slip-yoke
  • "Adapter" U-joint (AOD yoke to factory driveshaft)
  • new tranny cooler lines - Classic Tube might be able to custom bend for you
  • might need to lengthen/shorten stock driveshaft

If you use the stock shifter, you won't need a wiring harness adapter - AOD is internal neutral safety switch/reverse switch... stock harness plugs into the shifter itself (I had to make an adapter for mine).

You might be able to use the C6 cross member. Whatever you do, don't get the squarish-looking one (seen on PATC's site) I tried one, and it didn't fit right.

Lokar makes a good TV cable - you can find those at Summit Racing, JEG'S, or other vendors.

This thread should help - lots of questions and advice thrown around. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-aod-conversion

Hope that helps!

Back