Good quality water pump and radiator 73 QCode

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I have owed my convertible for 10 years now. I have never had any over heating problems with the current pump and radiator but am looking to replace them before they start to fail. Looking for some good quality replacements. I have been on NPD web site and they have a few option for a Qcode but their may be better choices out there. Its just a week end cruiser so I don't need any super high performance stuff. Just looking for solid replacement parts.

John J

If you still have your original copper radiator I would try to find a local shop that can recore it, that way you essentially have a new radiator that will fit perfectly and look right. Most of the aftermarket stuff has issues with either fitment or the way they look. I don't know what to tell you about the water pump, but Jegs sells replacement "high flow" cast iron water pumps, and for a little more you can get an aluminum Flowcooler one from Summit.

In all honesty if they are working fine, I would probably just leave them be. Maybe do a nice radiator flush to clean everything out and refill with a good quality coolant. Check all the hoses and change any of them that look suspect. Original radiators can last for decades if properly maintained, and water pumps can last well over 60-70,000 miles. I would be willing to bet that the radiator and water pump in that car have been changed sometime in the last 20 years or so. In the last couple of decades that car will probably have seen less than 10,000 miles, as 99% of them are no longer used for daily transportation, so the parts may be in very good condition.

Back