Got an axle question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
My door tag says Axle 2. The flange on my axles have 3 holes. That doesn’t seem to match, as I remember. 2 is 2.75 non traction lock, should have 28 spline. 3 holes say 31 spline. Am I wrong?

Well then, maybe this question, but first some background. I bought this car at a salvage yard and had no history or idea about it and no one to talk to etc. I noticed the car has the old fashion rear spring lifts on the back. It also had air shocks as well. As I remember, that was the old school looks cool, probably have better traction bologna that we believed in the day. Now, with all that said, how can I determine without removing the pumpkin if the car has traction lock? I’ve read several different forum post here and there seems to be a agreed to disagree that the old turn one wheel test isn’t always indicative that it has traction lock or not. There’s no tag on any of the bolts of the pumpkin so what other way can I use to determine if someone swapped it out from the factory axle?

If the tag is gone and there's evidence of gasket sealer around the center section then most likely someone's been in there and you have to investigate further to figure out what you have.

If there's a driveshaft hooked up to the diff then with both rear wheels off the ground try and rotate one of the wheels. If the other wheel turns the opposite way you have an open diff. If its difficult to turn the wheel and the opposite wheel wants to move in the same direction then you have a Traction Lock.

Back