Got it at the paint shop with pics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfdavid

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
400, race cam, pistons, rocker arms, ignition, heck, basically everything is race modified
As I am new to these threads some will remember my introduction thread and my interior paint thread that had that awful bass boat gel coat look. Anyway, I found a body and paint guy, we agreed on a flat price and he is gonna do some body work and paint it. I am going with a canary yellow. Not too worried about originality since I did not buy the car for that purpose. Plus, it doesn't have the 351C it came with from the factory but a Ford 400.

Here are the prelim stages so far.

0157409A.jpg

A6FCE752.jpg

Look forward to seeing it when you get done. Hope everything goes smoothly, but if it doesn't I hope you have beer handy!
I am just glad I got a contract detailing what he is going to do and the flat fee for doing it. I have a feeling he might be in for a bit more work then he might have anticipated. But, he is a good guy and I know he will do a good job.

While it is there I also gave him all new window moldings, door seal, window felts, hood trim, door handles, louvers, etc...to replace the old stuff with since he is taking it off anyway

Look forward to seeing it when you get done. Hope everything goes smoothly, but if it doesn't I hope you have beer handy!
I am just glad I got a contract detailing what he is going to do and the flat fee for doing it. I have a feeling he might be in for a bit more work then he might have anticipated. But, he is a good guy and I know he will do a good job.

While it is there I also gave him all new window moldings, door seal, window felts, hood trim, door handles, louvers, etc...to replace the old stuff with since he is taking it off anyway
If he can put reproduction rear window moldings on with bending them (or gluing them on) I want that man's name and number.

Jim

My car was painted sometime before I bought it and while the work was mostly done very well, the drip rails were not removed and I have minor leaks. You are smart to have all of that done and not try to get by on too tight a budget. I'll pull mine and redo then this coming winter probably and I am hopeful I won't have to do any visible repainting.

Is he going to rebuild your door hinges while he is working on it? It would suck to get it perfect and have to do that after the fact an be forced to repositioned a door and risk damaging the paint.

Is he going to rebuild your door hinges while he is working on it? It would suck to get it perfect and have to do that after the fact an be forced to repositioned a door and risk damaging the paint.
He is going to align all doors, deck lid, hood, etc

I don't think I've ever even HEARD of a Mach I with a Ford 400. Yours is definitely unique. Too cool! :)
Lol, thanks. It was used on the track to run the 1/4.

Used to have a cage in it, etc. AND the 400 is far from stock...literally everything is performance parts, cam, pistons, rockers, ignition, fuel pump, etc...

I know there are a lot of purists out there, but this was not purchased for that, this was bought so I can scare little kids and little old ladies!!!! :D

If the doors sag when you open them, you need to rebuild the hinge pin portion of the hinges. Most people use bushings and a replacement pin. If you align with bad hinges, the alignment will continue to change over time and you will eventually have to realign the foors which is a huge pita.

I would have the hinges disassembled, drilled for oversized pins and reassembled rather than use bushings as the bushings are soft and wear over time.

I don't think I've ever even HEARD of a Mach I with a Ford 400. Yours is definitely unique. Too cool! :)
Lol, thanks. It was used on the track to run the 1/4.

Used to have a cage in it, etc. AND the 400 is far from stock...literally everything is performance parts, cam, pistons, rockers, ignition, fuel pump, etc...

I know there are a lot of purists out there, but this was not purchased for that, this was bought so I can scare little kids and little old ladies!!!! :D
LOL! Around here, we generally support whatever you want to do to the car (although jacking it up 10 inches and putting 22 inch ghetto wheels on it has gotten quite a few frowns around here :p ) Have at it, and have fun!

Looks like this group is keeping a good bunch of painters busy across the country. Congratulations on moveing your project forward. It does feel real good to see new paint. Keep the pictures coming as you progress along.

Looks like it's well underway. The yellow will be great!
Thanks Don. I already have a classic car (Triumph TR6) that is red. I didn't want two red cars and I have always liked the yellow and black contrast

Back