Got tired of bottoming out. Brand new tires are no longer at risk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M

Reaction score
My Car
73 loaded Q code car w/a 351 4v C6 it came with 2 cars in parts.
I got tired of the car bottoming out. I disposed of the stock flattened out leafs & added these 5 leaf springs from CJ pony. They are the same height as the originals w/ the shackles on the last lowest position. I took it out and there's no more bottoming out without having to jack the car up. No more wheel hop either. I'd rec these 5 leaf springs for 330.00 shipped. I'm trying to make this still appear to be original. Ye, I know leaf springs are something you'd find on a covered wagon. The (36lb) 5 leafs add 10lbs a pc over the (26lb) 3 leaf and 5 lbs a pc over 4 leaf. At least the weight is where you want it. After burning out a few times, I'll avoid having to use traction bars or Cal tracs w/ them. So I may save a lb pr side lmao

Attachments

• IMG_4214.JPG
    IMG_4214.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4230.JPG
    IMG_4230.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4239.JPG
    IMG_4239.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I just did mine a couple of weeks ago because I, personal opinion only) did not like the extended shackles. When back to standard shackles and works great.
Ye the original leafs were flattened completely out with the extended shackles. I also didn't like the look of the extended shackles holding the leaf down for everybody to view. I also install these dry, since I'm paranoid of any chemical from the lubricant having a long-term adverse effect on the rubber/urethane?. Especially since most of the lubricants have a petroleum base & the bushings also probably do.

Last edited:
I put a little white lithium grease on mine. They should out live me anyway.
Ye I'm just paranoid. I'm sure it doesn't matter. It is easy to put the shackle up against it and slap it a couple of times with a mallet. I've seen what time and possible exposure to anything can do to Snap On Tools. The sad part is Snap On doesn't replace their handles, mallets, any plastics etc... Ye Owning Crap On has increased my paranoia.

Attachments

• 239356825_577086330131151_9010589823569973558_n.jpg
    239356825_577086330131151_9010589823569973558_n.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 239164221_901389944120899_8617975346093524243_n.jpg
    239164221_901389944120899_8617975346093524243_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Ye I'm just paranoid. I'm sure it doesn't matter. It is easy to put the shackle up against it and slap it a couple of times with a mallet. I've seen what time and possible exposure to anything can do to Snap On Tools. The sad part is Snap On doesn't replace their handles, mallets, any plastics etc... Ye Owning Crap On has increased my paranoia.

I'd say a call to Snap On corporate would get those tools warrantied. Different company, but Mac warrantied one of my deadblow hammers when it exploded after 24 years of use.

I got tired of the car bottoming out. I disposed of the stock flattened out leafs & added these 5 leaf springs from CJ pony. They are the same height as the shackles on the last lowest position. I took it out and there's no more bottoming out without jacking the car up. No more wheel hop either. I'd rec these 5 leaf springs for 330.00 shipped. I'm trying to make this still appear to be original. Ye I know leaf springs are something you'd find on a covered wagon. The 5 leafs add 10lbs a pc over the 3 leaf and 5 lbs a pc over 4 leaf. At least the weight is where you want it. After burning out a few times, I'll avoid having to use traction bars or Cal tracs w/ them. So I may save a lb pr side lmao
Good to know. We found and a 1973 Mustang Convertible that had been literally barn stored for over 40 years. When we acquired it about 3 years ago it has just under 20,000 original miles on it, and today is has just over 21,000 miles. The prior owner replaced the tires (cracked sidewalls) and the fabric top. With the new tires he installed a set of 14" Magnum 500 wheels - a nice touch. We added a front spoiler to give it a little "edge," and refinished the bottom part of the rear trunk lid vertical surface as the original paint was a little thin at the trunk lock tumbler area, and a tiny bit of corrosion was beginning to invade the otherwise perfect paint condition. Other than that it is in near perfect preserved condition. I say "near perfect" as the rear springs are allowing the back of the vert to bottom out on any fairly significant road surface imperfections. The rear riding height is not bad, no obvious sagging. But, the springs are not able to handle what it should be able to manage without bottoming out. I (also) ordered some replacement springs, but since it is not a huge deal I have not yet installed them. This Spring it is on the To Do list, just because I know it will ride better once the work is done.

Anyway, I appreciate your having posted your experience as it has put a bit of fire under my tail feathers re: getting this done on our vert. So, thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_11_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_11_20200503.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Being a convertible in that nice of shape with mileage that low. I hope you keep it original as much as possible. I wouldn't put these heavy 5 leafs on it, however, I would go up to 4 leaf. The stock springs seem to leave much to be desired. Geeze you only have 20k, just adding new would be a temporary fix. It was easy to do. Soak everything a day or 2 before and place a jack under the side you play with 1/2 impact the U bolts and outer bolt, I think it was a 11/16 socket inside frame rail and open end on the forward bolt. I kinda chisel & knocked the old rubber out and pushed in the others in w/ some mallet help on the back. The new U bolts were a lil small on the od I used them by tweaking them a lil/ or clean the old ones. Hang them front 1st it seemed to work, then rear with the axle jacked up, then push the axle to line up the dowl pin. The hardest part was cleaning out where the front of the springs go. Mine had to be wire wheeled primed n painted. Ye that convertible is another nest egg, I hope it doesn't fall prey to a texting driver. Here in Tulsa it's drive at your own risk both the roads and the people.

Good to know. We found and a 1973 Mustang Convertible that had been literally barn stored for over 40 years. When we acquired it about 3 years ago it has just under 20,000 original miles on it, and today is has just over 21,000 miles. The prior owner replaced the tires (cracked sidewalls) and the fabric top. With the new tires he installed a set of 14" Magnum 500 wheels - a nice touch. We added a front spoiler to give it a little "edge," and refinished the bottom part of the rear trunk lid vertical surface as the original paint was a little thin at the trunk lock tumbler area, and a tiny bit of corrosion was beginning to invade the otherwise perfect paint condition. Other than that it is in near perfect preserved condition. I say "near perfect" as the rear springs are allowing the back of the vert to bottom out on any fairly significant road surface imperfections. The rear riding height is not bad, no obvious sagging. But, the springs are not able to handle what it should be able to manage without bottoming out. I (also) ordered some replacement springs, but since it is not a huge deal I have not yet installed them. This Spring it is on the To Do list, just because I know it will ride better once the work is done.

Anyway, I appreciate your having posted your experience as it has put a bit of fire under my tail feathers re: getting this done on our vert. So, thank you...
Hey thanks. I think you're the one who saved me some time sorting out my electrical problems. I wish I knew about this site when I 1st started this Mustang concoction. I'm going outside to work on a 81 Datsun 280zx. I was surprised they put rear discs and independent rear ends on them. You'd get a kick out of the Jap wiring. No juice to the fuel pump... get this I chased a wire from ign to a relay behind the glovebox (under dash) to the engine compartment to a fusible link & a 2nd relay rt fender to a mass airflow meter frt engine to a oil pressure switch. The damn fuel pump had no voltage 'cause the wire goes through the oil pressure sender switch cannister thing

I'd say a call to Snap On corporate would get those tools warrantied. Different company, but Mac warrantied one of my deadblow hammers when it exploded after 24 years of use.
I was going to reply to this post, however, never found my Snap On broken tools pictures (just those 2) I've been waiting over 6 months for a 1/2" ratcheting adaptor. I guess it's tough for them to get replacements while China is on lockdown. I replaced it w/an an old Proto & it's much more durable. They told me they don't replace handles, so most of my Snap On screw drivers are now expensive drifts. I tried to get a replacement of that brass mallet along with a cpl of other tools & they've told me they are no longer issued. My overpriced Sanp On timing light is too touchy to tune a 351 Cleveland with. It doesn't seem to pick up the RPMs. I had that $400+timing light go bad, and they told me I must have dropped it. They had to rebuild it for 200. My Snap On DA is junk it barely rotates..no longer issued. Out of all the tool manufactures I've ever dealt with, Snap On tool truck personnel are the most arrogant and chinchy. If you are no longer a regular, they avoid dealing with you altogether. I've been asked where I got them and how long I've had them. I told them, I bought them new and may still have the receipts. At this point I'd just assume trash their name. I may have up to 10k of their eye candy tools. Some are very useful, however Mac Matco Craftsman Sk Proto and various others have been better to me. Snap On plastics leave much to be desired, and do not stand the test of time.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that the center of the 5 leaf assy. will sit lower in the middle, so I added rubber spacers to the shocks. I might add them to the top also, as it appears to be a full 1" of difference @ 1/2" w/ weight on it. They are @ 1" in height over stock ride height.

Attachments

• IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I forgot to add that the center of the 5 leaf assy. will sit lower in the middle, so I added rubber spacers to the shocks. I might add them to the top also, as it appears to be a full 1" of difference @ 1/2" w/ weight on it. They are @ 1" in height over stock ride height.
Great job, I just did mine a few months ago as well. Didn't like the extended shackles and the leafs themselves were pretty flat. Overall, it was not the nightmare that I was expecting, everything came apart pretty easy with nothing seized up or requiring to be cut.

Tom

Great job, I just did mine a few months ago as well. Didn't like the extended shackles and the leafs themselves were pretty flat. Overall, it was not the nightmare that I was expecting, everything came apart pretty easy with nothing seized up or requiring to be cut.

Tom
Same here. It was easier than expected. I'm doing the front end now. I forgot how many parts were involved up front and how much money it costs to buy all of them, regardless of doing it myself. I could have bought complete Chinese control arm assemblies, cheaper than buying the ball joints and shaft kits. I like knowing that I'm using old US metal when possible. Stubborn, I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I replaced my rear springs with the same 5 leaf springs, I can't really judge how it sits yet as the back of the car still has no real weight on it. It looks to me like the car will sit pretty nice once completely assembled.

Attachments

• Mach 1 539.jpg
    Mach 1 539.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 580.jpg
    Mach 1 580.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
The height didn't change much, it's the rigidity that made the difference. I was able to take an old buddy for a ride. He's a local Mustang collector. Needless to say, It was a hard ride. Anyway, these didn't sit much higher, yet they never bottomed even over speed bumps. My 60's do not completely fit in the fender wells. Anyway, I had to lower the font 1" This area along w/ the differential are the last areas to run through. What did you use for a rear? This little area under the A arms was a mass accumulation of undercoating. Whatever possessed someone to cake it in there is beyond me. I cleaned it and etching primed it. That undercoating crap has made me miserable on this car, I'll pay more for one without the tar next time.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.JPG
    IMG_4318.JPG
    1,020 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back