GPS preference

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter had a Garmin Nuvi, I wanted to throw it out the Da@# window.

Stacey has a Magellan and really like it.

I have a Cobra, it has a giant screen and love it

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450T with 5" screen. I like it pretty well. It is user friendly and is much better than the nav system that came in my wife's car. I used to have a Magellan Maestro, but ruined it whel I let it get wet on the motorcycle in the rain. Overall I like the Garmin more than the Magellan.

I recently bought a Magellan Roadmate 9055LM. It has a 7 inch screen which is really great. It is the same size screen that came in my wife's Tahoe. Her's spoiled me, so I had to have the 7 inch screen.

You can also hook a backup camera to it. We used it to drive from Virginia to New Orleans and back and it worked great. I bought it on Black Friday weekend from Crutchfield on a great sale for $199, plus I found a Crutchfield $20 coupon and the final price was $179.00. The best part it comes with FREE Lifetime map updates.

After returning from the trip I installed the backup camera. But I had problems with the camera working, it keep blinking on and off. Crutchfield replaced the camera first and after still having problems they replaced the GPS too. Works fine now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_360R9055LM/Magellan-RoadMate-9055-LM.html?search=roadmate_9055&skipvs=T

Here are a couple of pics of it installed in my 04 Mach 1. It has a nice long mounting bracket arm this is adjustable in lenth:

P1310054.jpg

P1310056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are all good..But i think some work better in diffrent area's....Like my freinds garmin...Works best in the cities around here....But didnt do so well on the country side....My other freind has a tomtom...And it did quite well out in the country and decent in town ....I got to use them both...Havent used megellans yet...But i dont think you can get a bad one now days....I used the one on my old driod phone..worked like a champ...Would even show you a picture of your desitation when you got there...lol

I recently bought a Magellan Roadmate 9055LM. It has a 7 inch screen which is really great. It is the same size screen that came in my wife's Tahoe. Her's spoiled me, so I had to have the 7 inch screen.

You can also hook a backup camera to it. We used it to drive from Virginia to New Orleans and back and it worked great. I bought it on Black Friday weekend from Crutchfield on a great sale for $199, plus I found a Crutchfield $20 coupon and the final price was $179.00. The best part it comes with FREE Lifetime map updates.

After returning from the trip I installed the backup camera. But I had problems with the camera working, it keep blinking on and off. Crutchfield replaced the camera first and after still having problems they replaced the GPS too. Works fine now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_360R9055LM/Magellan-RoadMate-9055-LM.html?search=roadmate_9055&skipvs=T

Here are a couple of pics of it installed in my 04 Mach 1. It has a nice long mounting bracket arm this is adjustable in lenth:

P1310054.jpg

P1310056.jpg
Where did you find the coupon?

The Company I work for has GPS on the computer that my work orders come to me on( I repair appliances in peoples homes). It will automatically Sinc with the work order and the GPS directions but they really suck.I don't know which companies program it uses. The system has a woman's voice to it and I tell people...... THAT WOMAN LIES TO ME EVERY DAY :)

What ever you get, try to get one that has lifetime map upgrades. Garmin designates modes with this with a LM in the model number!

LMT=Lifetime Maps & Traffic

LM=Lifetime Maps

LT=Lifetime Traffic

I don't use the traffic feature so I can't really say much about that.

I now just use my smartphone's GPS, the maps are updated continuously, and I have to carry it anyway (for work) so when I travel that's just one less thing that I have to pack, and worry about not leaving behind.

As a side note, because of the "free" GPS function on a lot of smartphones, how much longer do you think that Garmin and the likes will be in business, if they don't adapt to the times and change their business model? eg Kodak, Blockbuster, etc.

I run the nuvi for trucks (tractor trailer)and bought a nuvi 1350 LMT for the wife. Like Rocketfoot said the Lifetime maps and traffic is a cool feature. It has saved me a few times in the 18 wheeler.

Where did you find the coupon?
You can use this code for $20 off any purchase over $100. Apparently I will get a credit too if you use it. The code can be used multiple times if any other members are interested. After you enter the code during checkout also enter Dean as the Crutchfield advisor next to the complete button.

The code is : p9jtrjcxppj9i6s

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Garmin Nuvi as well. The big thing with those is occasionally purchasing the updates. Especially if you are in a newer area, new construction etc.

Few years ago, my brother came down from Denver and met us outside of New Orleans for a wedding... Whatever GPS it was tried to direct us the exact opposite of where we needed to go... Haven't trusted them yet!

Maybe it was just Louisiana:exclamation: :s

Back