GPS Tracking and Kill Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BushwackerBob

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1, Q code.
Does anyone know how many Amps a stock yellow cap ignition coil pulls? The reason I'm asking I was going to try to make my 1973 Mach 1 more theft proof.
I found out my car would not start after pulling out the instrument cluster because I had disconnected the tachometer. I had to put a jumper in to start the car.
Here is my idea. I came across this GPS car tracking real time device on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112136195963 It's rated at 10A.
GPS.jpg
Instead of braking the connection to the fuel pump (no electric pump). I was going to use it to break one of the Tach wires. I'm not wanting to cut into the wiring harness so I thought I would a two wire pigtail https://www.ebay.com/itm/234010574697?hash=item367c1dff69:g:FRMAAOSwzi5gn5cR to do the splicing. I would cut and splice this pigtail to keep it as short as possible. I was going to hide this behind the tach on the inside of the firewall. This would give me the ability to track and locate the car and cut the ignition and be totally hidden.
2 pin connector.jpg
In addition I also wanted to wire inline with the tracker a remote control relay that uses a key fob. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303871253344 so when I park and am away for a short time I can also disable the ignition without using the smart phone tracking app. It's also rated a 10A. This would also be mounded behind the instrument cluster on the inside firewall.
Remote Relay.jpg
Any feedback would be appreciated.

BushwackerBob

The tach/ignition line pulls well less than 10 amps, more like 1 amp. You should be good to go.

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry any of these devices relays. Do you think this idea is sound?

I have a feeling that our most likely method of loss is a flatbed just scooping them up and worrying about how to start them later. So yes, a long battery life GPS transmitter seems like the best chance for recovery in my opinion.

Kcmash

This GPS system is interesting, but for that price I wonder how reliable is it and how strong of a signal it has. Does it work through cell phone signal or how does it connect to the cloud? Edit: never mind, I see that you will need to get a SIM card so you have to pay for monthly cell service then.

This GPS system is interesting, but for that price I wonder how reliable is it and how strong of a signal it has. Does it work through cell phone signal or how does it connect to the cloud? Edit: never mind, I see that you will need to get a SIM card so you have to pay for monthly cell service then.
It does sound cheap. I figure there is only one way to find out. You can pick up some pretty cheap sims cards for any duration. I'd probably get a 180 day card. I don't take the car out in the winter. Also thinking about relocating it behind the glove box. It would make it easier to swap out the sims.

It does sound cheap. I figure there is only one way to find out. You can pick up some pretty cheap sims cards for any duration. I'd probably get a 180 day card. I don't take the car out in the winter. Also thinking about relocating it behind the glove box. It would make it easier to swap out the sims.
Let us know how it works. Does it have an internal battery in case the car battery is disconnected? Also, do not follow the instructions to connect to the oil pump:oops:

It does have an internal battery. It can be controlled by SMS messages. It sends messages to your phone. I was planning to break the circuit at the tach. That will kill the ignition coil. It's almost impossible to stop a thief, but I can try to help to keep honest people honest. Deterrents can work.

FWIW - I've been using a cheap little GPS tracker for the last couple of years with SIM card from speedtalkmobile.com for $5 a month and so far it's worked everywhere I've had the car with no issues.

I will add that these types of cheap trackers are neat, but the way you interact with them isn't very polished. Lots of sending text codes to it to get things programmed and to get it to do things. The apps and web services are there, but pretty janky IMO. I am totally fine with all that as it absolutely does what it's supposed to once it was setup. I can find my car at any time, get an alert if it's started or moved etc. just not sure elegant.

I have been thinking of using a bluetooth controlled relay to do much the same kind of thing as this thing does. Mine has EFI but I was also thinking of cutting the tach wire to the EFI. That would keep power on to the whole system, including gas and likely take a bit more sleuthing to figure out since the whole system is powered on, but the EFI just never knows the car is running.

That little GPS tracker looks neat. Only thing I see with it that's causes any pause is the small backup battery, but I might give that a shot as it would let me switch the wires and not need to mess around with that BT relay which was like $50 last I checked.

The reason I like it breaking the tach circuit is because all the electrical will still work. I've got the original factory 2 wire tach, so disconnecting the tach will kill power to the coil. Thus preventing the engine from running or starting. It would be hard to figure out why it won't run.

The tracker is going to require a constant 12v supply so it shouldn't be depending on the the small battery. It would only be a problem is if the car battery is disconnected. It should probably still function for at least 8 hrs.

Even though the SMS is kludgie it's only a $20 unit. I don't know if you scrolled down to the features so I cut and pasted them here. Looks like a lot for $20. I've owned my Mach 1 since 2000. Put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. If I can keep it from changing ownership without my knowledge it's worth it to me. Now that I know the 10A relay can handle the coil circuit I'm going to install it when it gets warmer. I'll let everyone know how it works.

BTW, my Mach 1 also has another anti-theft device.... came factory... 4 speed.:)
arrow_blu.gif
Product Features
  • Hidden Design and Easy Installation: Relay outlook design makes the device very convenient for hide and install. Advanced Technology: It adopts the most advanced technology of
  • GPS and LBS Triple positioning, which can locate very fast and send you very accurate position information. Under GPS locating mode, the accuracy can be less than 10 meters.
  • Compatibility: Wide Operating Voltage 10-40V DC, compatible with vehicles on the market, such as car, motorcycle, motorbike and truck. Can be connected directly with the battery of the vehicle, can get continuous power without recharging action. Supports GSM Quad Band Frequency(850/900/1800/1900Mhz), can work perfectly around the worldwide.
  • Remotely Cut Off & Resume Fuel: Once your vehicle was stolen or meet any emergency, you can remotely cut off the fuel via SMS command or APP to stop the vehicle, of course you also can resume the fuel remotely.
  • Intelligent Anti-theft System: Car start, automatically cancel the anti-theft mode; stop the fire, the positioner automatically enters the anti-theft mode.
  • Multiple Location Tracking—24 Hours Upload: Glonass+GPS+LBS multi-mode positioning system makes the acquired position information more accurate and reliable, and rejects all errors.
  • Electric Fence: Set the security zone. When the car enters or leaves the security zone, the mobile phone will receive the reminder at the first time. You can keep track of the car dynamics without opening the app.
  • Historical Track—180 days: Free storage of the cloud, recording the car's 180-day driving trajectory throughout the day, in case of special circumstances, do not worry, the phone can be seen anytime, anywhere.
  • Vehicle Vibration Alarm: When the car is stationary, the positioner automatically enters the fortified state. When the car is moved or bumped, the positioner will immediately send an alarm message to the owner (SMS, phone, APP, multiple alarm prompts).
  • Equipment Removal Alarm: The device is equipped with a sensitive sensor, and when the device is removed or destroyed, the owner will immediately receive an alarm message.
  • Lifetime Free Web Tracking Software and Mobile App: The tracking software for this device is free for using LIFETIME, you needn't pay any monthly or yearly fee for the tracking service.

Back