Grabber Lime 429 Mach Restoration Update - Fuel Tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally thought the reddish finish originally was like loctite, to stop them from coming loose.   But it seems to be just a finish, so not sure why to be honest.  Hopefully someone on the forum can tell us why.   I did the same on the front suspension with the reddish nuts. 
From what I understand on the Concours Mustang forum, the red finish was a quality control indicator for items that required special torque values and inspections.

From what I understand on the Concours Mustang forum, the red finish was a quality control indicator for items that required special torque values and inspections.
That's interesting, good and possible explanation! 

I originally thought the reddish finish originally was like loctite, to stop them from coming loose.   But it seems to be just a finish, so not sure why to be honest.  Hopefully someone on the forum can tell us why.   I did the same on the front suspension with the reddish nuts. 

View attachment 48459

View attachment 48458

View attachment 48460
Thank you for the pics, that looks very good! 

the red finish was a quality control indicator for items that required special torque values and inspections.
No sure I get the logic behind that. Were the nuts first installed painted red to catch the attention of the guy supposed to check/torque them? (but then what's indicating that they were checked? ) Or was the paint applied by the guy who actually checked them to tell they've been checked (which fits the quality control theory better), but if so, would they be entirely covered in paint?

No sure I get the logic behind that. Were the nuts first installed painted red to catch the attention of the guy supposed to check/torque them? (but then what's indicating that they were checked? ) Or was the paint applied by the guy who actually checked them to tell they've been checked (which fits the quality control theory better), but if so, would they be entirely covered in paint?
I think it was meant to be as an indicator that they had to be checked by a "quality control" for torqued after finished on the assembly line. For this application it was painted before install. There was no control if they are torqued after they are torqued (or not). Perhaps through regular service appointments on Ford dealerships they could prove that nuts for being still torqued the first months/years or by dealer prep before sale. 

Fabrice, you have to think much simpler  :biggrin:

no, kuz If I would, I would torque them till they turn green!! :D
'cause, you are Hulk?!? 

Fabrice, you shall not destroy them! They are precious! Simply paint your nuts! Because that's concourse! 

:biggrin: :whistling:

Oh man, Mike will hate us destroying his thread...  :classic_ninja:

I went back to the Concours Forum, and the conventional wisdom is that the red dye is to mark that a particular part was installed and torqued correctly on the assembly line.

Let me get you the size of the holes off some of my original cars. 
Sorry for the delay in responding.   The holes on the back panel are 1/4" holes. where the clips go through. 

Sorry for the delay in responding.   The holes on the back panel are 1/4" holes. where the clips go through. 
Thank you for taking the time to check it out for me,  I thought they looked quite large.  My original back panel was long gone so I had no reference to go by.  Again thank you for all your posts, helps me a lot.  Bryan

Back