Grabber Lime Restoration - Update - Brake/Fuel Lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
Here is the latest update on the Grabber Lime restoration.  Installed pre-bent fuel and brake lines.  Thought it would be easy, but not quite like I expected.  I would say the new lines are pre-bent 90% of the way, and of course the 10% you have to re-bend, you have to uninstall and reinstall more than once to get them correct. 

I also forgot that only the 429CJs have a fuel return line and had to add that in after I installed the fuel line!  Here are some photo's of the lines in the wheel wells and engine compartment.

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

Here is the latest update on the Grabber Lime restoration.  Installed pre-bent fuel and brake lines.  Thought it would be easy, but not quite like I expected.  I would say the new lines are pre-bent 90% of the way, and of course the 10% you have to re-bend, you have to uninstall and reinstall more than once to get them correct. 

I also forgot that only the 429CJs have a fuel return line and had to add that in after I installed the fuel line!  Here are some photo's of the lines in the wheel wells and engine compartment.
Great work! It looks perfect. Keep us posted. Chuck

This is excellent - I am doing the same work to my '71 convertible.   Where did you get your suspension refinished?
I did the work myself.  I bought new upper and lower control arms, then refinished them in the correct colors.  All the other suspension is original and I beadblasted it to bare metal, then refinished it in the correct colors.

Super special, Mike. I remember seeing this car sitting outside (in pix, some years ago); sure looks different today. Never seen better. Sure wish my Grabber Blue Mach 1 SCJ was Grabber LIME--My favorite color for the 71 models. Thanks for the update.

Your missing only 1 crucial picture that I need for my reference. That is the Brake Line Union on the passenger side inner fender.

If you have a picture of that, it would be helpful, as I am putting in all new stainless lines TODAY. I have the Drivers drop done, passenger drop ready to remove the old one, and I am trying to figure out hot to get to the firewall clips without removing the engine/disassembling the car, lol. Maybe from the bottom side.

These pictures have been super helpful to me today. Thank you so much for posting them. Those damn line clips are sure no fun to get to in a running driving car, but it helped me alot. I finally got all those cross line clips off from underneath.

Your missing only 1 crucial picture that I need for my reference.  That is the Brake Line Union on the passenger side inner fender.

If you have a picture of that, it would be helpful, as I am putting in all new stainless lines TODAY.  I have the Drivers drop done, passenger drop ready to remove the old one, and I am trying to figure out hot to get to the firewall clips without removing the engine/disassembling the car, lol.  Maybe from the bottom side.
Here is a picture that I took of the emission canister, but it has the brake union in it.  Hope that helps.  

is a mitsubishi eclipse a sports car

I can't wait to get that little blue demon can out and blast and paint it.

What is the finish on those hinges?

One observation, if you need teflon tape to stop a brake flare from leaking, the flare is no good. You should never have to use teflon tape on a brake line.

Love the progress. It's looking Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to get that little blue demon can out and blast and paint it.

What is the finish on those hinges?

One observation,  if you need teflon tape to stop a brake flare from leaking, the flare is no good. You should never have to use teflon tape on a brake line.

Love the progress. It's looking Amazing.
On the hinges, I used Cast Blast as the final color.  You are correct on the brass fittings and the teflon.  Habit I guess when I fit steel lines with steel fittings!!!

I've said it before, you're building MY dream car!. Now, if only those lotto numbers would come up, I'd be there, check book in hand.

I can't wait to see it completed and actually, I'd love to come there and see it personally.

Great work.

Geoff.

I've said it before, you're building MY dream car!. Now, if only those lotto numbers would come up, I'd be there, check book in hand.

I can't wait to see it completed and actually, I'd love to come there and see it personally.

Great work.

Geoff.
If your ever in town, please come stop by and visit the garage.   There are plenty of Mustangs/Shelbys to come see.

Great work.

Geoff.
If your ever in town, please come stop by and visit the garage.   There are plenty of Mustangs/Shelbys to come see.
 I'd definitely love to do that. Probably won't be for a month or two though. Unfortunately I won't have my check book with me...…. unless!!!!

Thanks for the invite,

Geoff.

Back